Saddle Canteen

I finished this after starting it several months ago.

I cut the leather a little short so I had a difficult time with the edges (lesson learned!) I will leave a larger boarder and trim afterwards.

I tooled it while laying flat, let it completely dry then re wet it to form around the canteen. I did not loose much tooling depth at all.

It is 5/6oz grade 3 leather from Tandy. I use it for a first time project just to work the bugs out before using a better quality leather.

I oiled it first with neatsfoot oil infused with fiebings oil dye (dk.brown). It sat for a day then I sealed it with clear lacquer resist from Sheridan Leather. After that dried I used fiebings antique lightly, and final sealed with Tan Kote.

post-6575-0-17222600-1402111262_thumb.jp

post-6575-0-56330600-1402111280_thumb.jp

post-6575-0-52472700-1402111313_thumb.jp

post-6575-0-41086000-1402111347_thumb.jp

post-6575-0-25116400-1402111367_thumb.jp

Rick,

This looks like an interesting project, and it sounds like you planned it out fairly well. It appears that you matched your saddle well; good job.

I have a couple of questions; why did you use Tan Kote for your final finish since you used lacquer first, and did you get the results you wanted by adding die to the old instead of just dying the leather after oiling?

Thanks, Ron

Rick,

This looks like an interesting project, and it sounds like you planned it out fairly well. It appears that you matched your saddle well; good job.

I have a couple of questions; why did you use Tan Kote for your final finish since you used lacquer first, and did you get the results you wanted by adding die to the old instead of just dying the leather after oiling?

Thanks, Ron

Hi Ron,

I started using the dye infused neatsfoot oil after reading about it somewhere, I just don't remember where. When used by itself it leaves a neat finish, it is a little darker in the tooling marks and where it penetrates the edges it darkens the edge and some of the darkness blends inwards (almost like airbrushing the edge darker).

The Tan Kote was used for a final finish (the lacquer was a resist, after the oil but before the antique paste). I have found that just using the antique paste without a lacquer resist just gives no depth to the tooling (to dark over everything) so the Tan Kote helps protect the antique finish and gives a mellow glow. You could use the lacquer again but it finishes to shiny for my taste.

I highly recommend trying the oil dye infused neatsfoot oil. I use it a lot just by itself, I get the color I want and after letting it sit for a day I just use the Tan Kote and its ready for the new owner!

There is no formula that I have followed to the mixture so I am guessing that it is 80% NFO and 20% Fiebings oil dye.

I just add oil and pour in some dark brown oil dye until it looks right. I used to little dye at first so I bumped it up and have never measured since! Doh!!! It does kind of look like tranny fluid, if that helps! lol!!

I keep it is a plastic coffee ground container with a snap lid and use a piece of shearling wool to apply it.

I hope that helps and thanks for looking!

Thanks for the info. I've tried dye in my oil, but only once or twice.
Ron

Hey Rick, looks like a neat project. I just might have to make one for myself, I assume it will also hold something other than water also! Might be just the ticket for a ride in the woods!!!!

Bob

Nice job

Thanks for the info. I've tried dye in my oil, but only once or twice.

Ron

Give it a try! The more I use it, the more I like it!

Hey Rick, looks like a neat project. I just might have to make one for myself, I assume it will also hold something other than water also! Might be just the ticket for a ride in the woods!!!!

Bob

Bob, I am pretty sure it can hold some other beverage as well! Maybe something to warm "yer self" on a winter ride!

Nice job

Thank you Wishful!

Great job! Where did you get the canteen?