Docott

Latigo Sides, Doctor Bag

Hello!

I plan to make a "docto bag". I've searched here and have some ideas. I've made some messenger bags with 4-5oz oil tanned, and this is too thin/light for the bag I invision. I want it to be sturdy, but not so thick/heavy as to make the bag extremely hard/rigid. What weight would be good? Thinking about latigo. Where should I look to purchase?

Thanks in advance:)

Spence

Sorry. Wrong place. Can this be moved to the correct forum, please?

Hey Spence,

I use 7-8 oz veg tan that I dyed for the front and back pannels of my MD bag. For the sides I use 4-5 oz then add a gusset. Also, I use a steel plate for the bottom of my bags as extra reinforcement and a steel frame with chicago screws. I would go with harness leather as you really need to work the stitching and I find it easier. Here is a photo of one of mine. Hope this helps!

post-57839-0-26591700-1426790330_thumb.j

Great! Thanks for the reply:)

I've made a few smaller bags, kind of as test runs, so to speak, just to see what happens with the the folds/edges and how the top would work, although I haven't made one with a frame. I think I've got those things worked out in my mind to the point where I'm ready to give it a try. This will be my first "real" project with decent$ leather (I've made several purses and messenger bags). I've used mostly softer, thinner 4-5oz oily leather. I knew I wanted something thicker and harder, but not too thick. I've seen similar bags made with 8-10oz bridle. Do you think that would be a good type of leather to use? Again, I want in to be rigid to a point, but not like wood!

Wickett and Craig has 8-10oz bridle sides on sale in a few colors due to overstock for $140. I've heard they can/will thin it, or part of it, to whatever you want. Seems that would be necessary for the gussets. Can you please take a few more pictures, particularly of the gussets and the openingframe of the of the bag? Also, I guess the seams on the gussets are exposed? Seems like it would be difficult to sew it inside out and evert it.

Thanks so much:)

Spence