I am just starting playing with these dyes and have a question. They give a really nice colour and coverage in an all over application. but I wondered if they can be used to get a sheridan style colouring on tooled work. I did try with supersheen but it didn't really work as a resist with these dyes very well. There was a slight difference in colour, not the contrast that you normally want for this type of work. Has anyone had success with them with this type of finish?

Thanks.

You do not need stain or paint, you need antique for sheridan style. Basicly you tool, use a clear finish and then antique.

On the personal goods stuff. I oil first and leave it 24 hrs at least. I resist with two coats of Leathersheen. I usea diluted briar brown HiLiter sponged on and worked in. Then wipe about 10-20 mninutes later with a sponge of Leathersheen again. It isn't as complicated but looks good.

I am just starting playing with these dyes and have a question. They give a really nice colour and coverage in an all over application. but I wondered if they can be used to get a sheridan style colouring on tooled work. I did try with supersheen but it didn't really work as a resist with these dyes very well. There was a slight difference in colour, not the contrast that you normally want for this type of work. Has anyone had success with them with this type of finish?

Thanks.

Hi Rosi:

What I learned from the manager at my local tandy... is that resists like supersheen won't resist dye, stains, or antiques... only highlites.

Go figure!

S

Bruce when you are saying Leathersheen are you talking about the stuff in the aresole can or is it something else?

1338692261[/url]' post='250972']

Hi Rosi:

What I learned from the manager at my local tandy... is that resists like supersheen won't resist dye, stains, or antiques... only highlites.

Go figure!

S

That's what I have found in my playing around :-(. Even the antique seems to leave too much colour on the resist. As Bruce mentioned the hi lites do work. I was just hoping for some more options. Being in Canada, I haven't found a place with a neat lac type product to try with the antiques .

Bruce when you are saying Leathersheen are you talking about the stuff in the aresole can or is it something else?

Leathersheen is an acrylic type finish that Fiebings make. It is pretty close to Supersheen I expect.