Sign in to follow this  
reid

J G Read and Brothers Saddle

I have a JG Read Brothers western saddle made in Ogdan Utah in excellent condition. It is missing the stirrups. Would like to restore to original. If anyone has any knowledge of history of this saddle, please let me know. Thanks

I have a JG Read Brothers western saddle made in Ogdan Utah in excellent condition. It is missing the stirrups. Would like to restore to original. If anyone has any knowledge of history of this saddle, please let me know. Thanks

does it have the "NiggerBoy Brand" trademark on it. "NiggerBoy" was a famous racehorse of which J.G. Read adopted as thier logo until in the 1930's or so the federal trade commission forced them to quit using this logo due to it being misconstrued as a racial thing. If your saddle bears this mark it would enhance it's value. As for the stirrups there were different ones available and one would have to narrow down the period a little more to determine what it might have been sold with. Greg

does it have the "NiggerBoy Brand" trademark on it. "NiggerBoy" was a famous racehorse of which J.G. Read adopted as thier logo until in the 1930's or so the federal trade commission forced them to quit using this logo due to it being misconstrued as a racial thing. If your saddle bears this mark it would enhance it's value. As for the stirrups there were different ones available and one would have to narrow down the period a little more to determine what it might have been sold with. Greg

Thanks. I will look for this trademark. Also, plan to photogragh when I get home. Why do I look for this trademark ?