Sign in to follow this  
raysouth

Compass Case Challenge ?

I may be opening a can of worms here but I suppose I could use the worms in my garden. lol.

As I have been rooting around in my treasures as we dispose of our estate, I stumbled upon a compass of the WWI era, ie; 1918, and have been toting it around for many years.

It is made of brass and has a leather case. Very interesting collectible for someone.

The leather case is still in reasonable condition with the exception of the thread being dry and rotting.

Here is my offer.

I have removed the thread and disassembled the case. The hand stitching done years ago was fascinating. All of the holes appear to have been hand punched with a very small awl and stitched through the center of the leather, (thickness) where the side and body joined. My description may be a bit confusing.

If someone here thinks that they are good enough to resew this case as did the original craftsmen, using the same holes and method that was used. I will send them the case, post paid, and when completed, can be returned to me. If completed as original, I will then insert the compass and return it to you, as something you will hopefully enjoy having around, as I have.

The closest pic I found of one almost exactly like the one I will be sending was on eBay, item number 330957593111. The difference is that mine is not black cover but brass.

Hope this will be of interest to someone that appreciates the craftsmanship of yore.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray, is this similar to the case you are talking about (see pictures below). From your description it sounds like the type of stitching I use for sewn in toes on holsters. The needle passes through the center of the leathers edge so that when you look into the case you cannot see any stitching. I would be up for the challenge. Can any thread be used or are you wanting natural linnen thread which is probably what was used originally. I have some barbours thread which if not what they used would be pretty close.

post-15001-0-36377400-1374771510_thumb.j

post-15001-0-66250500-1374771547_thumb.j

post-15001-0-81008200-1374771581_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge

Hello Scott,

You are the first to respond and it will be sent to you to give it a shot. Your pics are exactly what I have, but a bit nicer, I must say.

I will leave the option of the type thread to you but appearance as close to original would be nice.

Email via pm, your mailing address and we will get things moving on this end. I must rely on transportation of others to get me to the p.o. but tomorrow will be a day when I am headed for city.

Looking forward to the completed project.

God Bless.

Ray