prc77ro

Newbie Form Nc

Hello all,

Leatherworking is something I have always wanted to get into, for a hobbie or profit, and I am at the point in my life where I can afford such a thing. I have really enjoyed brousing the pages here(of which there are so many) and have learned so much in the short months I have taken up this craft. Unfortunately I am a perfectionist so I have tried to do as much research as possible before taking on any builds. So far to date I have made 4 sheaths, 1 pocket type(posted in the rate my work threads) 2 stacked leather and a custom one for a friend's 3 piece skinning setI have also made my first pair of spur straps, nothing fancy, but a buddy of mine wanted a pair to give his wife with her initials on them for Christmas before he deployed. Currently I am working on making an Al Stolhman Stiching 1/4 horse( I could post photos if anyone cares to see) and also a pair of leather and mink slippers for my wife( which is turning out to be more invloved that I first thought).

I look foward to interacting more with members here and learning from those who are more experenced than I.

Welcome to the craft! It sounds like you have a plan; gather information and then use it! This is always a good approach in anything you might want to do.

As with about anything else, you already know that there are some things you learn from asking/researching/reading, and some things you 'learn' by putting your hands in it and doing.

Leather craft is not 'hard', and being a perfectionist is a good thing - if you want to get good at it, you likely will!

I have found out some of that the hard way, books, or sites like this are great for the how to's but then once you start cutting, stamping and stiching things change, or you missed a step that you should have done before you cemented your pieces together. But all in all i find it almost therapudic and once my stiching pony is finished it should make a BIG difference