When I make my holsters I end up with a high gloss finish. After dyeing and buffing I add some clear KIWI paste wax and buff again. The shine looks nice but too high gloss, would rather have a semi-gloss or no gloss finish but still want something on it to protect the leather and not just leave it dyed with no protection. How can I achieve this lower to no gloss look. Am using Fiebings USMC black alcolhol based dye on smooth cowhide shoulder leather. Thanks for any ideas on this.

When I make my holsters I end up with a high gloss finish. After dyeing and buffing I add some clear KIWI paste wax and buff again. The shine looks nice but too high gloss, would rather have a semi-gloss or no gloss finish but still want something on it to protect the leather and not just leave it dyed with no protection. How can I achieve this lower to no gloss look. Am using Fiebings USMC black alcolhol based dye on smooth cowhide shoulder leather. Thanks for any ideas on this.

U/G

You might try another finish like Satin Sheen, Tan Kote or even Bee Natural RTC finish? I have all 3. Your profile sez you live in Austin. I live in Round Rock, I would be willing to bring them over if you would like try each of them before you buy them all? That way you will find out what works. I have used the Fiebings Oil Black Dye on a recent belt with Eco-Flo super sheen and I have not received a high gloss. I have posted the belt pictures on here. You can see them on my face book page? Might be worth a try.

PM and let me know if you would like to meet....No problem on my end.

Good luck

U/G

You might try another finish like Satin Sheen, Tan Kote or even Bee Natural RTC finish? I have all 3. Your profile sez you live in Austin. I live in Round Rock, I would be willing to bring them over if you would like try each of them before you buy them all? That way you will find out what works. I have used the Fiebings Oil Black Dye on a recent belt with Eco-Flo super sheen and I have not received a high gloss. I have posted the belt pictures on here. You can see them on my face book page? Might be worth a try.

PM and let me know if you would like to meet....No problem on my end.

Good luck

Hey thanks for the offer. I finally decided to just go with the high gloss shine. Have been getting some good reviews and feedback from buyers and the high gloss doesn't seem to be an issue with anyone 'cept me. Reckon I jus' worry too much.

You didn't mention what you were using for buffing, but I use a soft-bristled shoe brush to buff an application of Kiwi, and that usually gives it a more satiny finish than if I used a cloth.

Kate