BillinOK

Basketweave Help, Light Switches

I'm embarrassed to even put this up here but this is the third one I've managed to trash. I have not done basketweave in 5 years due to a back injury. I use to fly through this and no problems. I don't know if the angle is off or what I'm doing wrong......maybe the whole thing is wrong. This is a square for a double light switch cover. In the center are the penciled lines for the screw holes, switch rectangles, and another rectangle (between the switches) for an initial stamp. The rectangle is really throwing things off, or something. I'm using a Tandy X534 basketweave stamp, and yes I know that is definitely not the best. The rectangle for the initial is not tooled inside, but around it. I drew my starting line from opposite corners, and started at the bottom left corner.

I've read several articles here, but this thing is just not clicking with me.

post-12634-0-15523900-1452567095_thumb.j

Edited by BillinOK

I'm not sure if I understand what your question or concern is here and I suspect I'm not alone in that regard.

Your image is a bit small so I enlarged it and looked at the pointer you have there. I see a misplaced line there. Is that the issue? Is it just the pattern angle? I have like 20 more guesses but..........

Edited by Wicked Welts

Look again and check the spacing below the blank area. Can you see it now?

post-58609-0-42147100-1452859488_thumb.j

It looks to me like the problem is not where the arrow is but two rows above it

Yes the problem is above where the arrow is, sorry I didn't get the arrow where it was needed. I circled it in red. The basketweave did not meet right. When I tool around the blank area, I just cannot get it to come out right when the basketweave meets where I started. After thinking about it, maybe I need to start at the blank box and go around it first, then tool out towards the end of the leather? or a different angle?

post-12634-0-48962200-1452871962_thumb.p

You cold run a couple of rows of basket weave stamping on a scrap of leather that's is longer than the area that will be left blank and use that as a guide where your stamping should start and stop.

Chris

Yes the problem is above where the arrow is, sorry I didn't get the arrow where it was needed. I circled it in red. The basketweave did not meet right. When I tool around the blank area, I just cannot get it to come out right when the basketweave meets where I started. After thinking about it, maybe I need to start at the blank box and go around it first, then tool out towards the end of the leather? or a different angle?

That's pretty much what I would do. I'd start two lines below the blank or above it - whatever. Then I would go up/down on one side, finish it and and come back down/up on the other side.

Thanks guys! I'll give those a try. I'm out of practice on basketweave!

Yes the problem is above where the arrow is, sorry I didn't get the arrow where it was needed. I circled it in red. .....

Naw, I'm the one that had it wrong, I was way focused on the tip of the arrow and didn't look around. Thor's enlargement made it obvious though so I get it now.

The reason I posted in here wasn't to solve the mystery but to try and grease the wheels so to speak. 4 days without a response and I could use help with this too, so I got a bit antsy. I've only done the weave around an open field once and it took a few tries for me also. That was awhile ago and I need more practice for sure.

If memory serves me, what I did was go back to Bruce's pinned tutorial for angled basket without a template. In my mind I refer to that as a bricklayer approach and think that's how I did it. I start a course going side to side and building up from there, one course at a time without skipping anything until I got to the 'obstruction' (a round empty space) and just skipped over that space with the course I was building across.

Brick, brick, brick, space, space, space, brick, brick, brick.......

////////////////////

/////// ///////

/////// ///////

////////////////////

Does that make sense and am I on the same page as you guys?

If so, it seems like starting at the open field would make it harder to keep all the rows aligned but I think that's what Chris' scrap template helps to solve. I should look again at Bruce's tute with template. Thanks

EDIT - My little slasher diorama looks more cock-eyed in the post than it did in the text box, it pretty much matches my usual stamping slop though :)

Edited by Wicked Welts

I think you gradually curved your way around the box, gaining a half stamp worth of space along the way. I drew a grid of red lines on the picture from a corner of the stamp to the same corner on the corresponding stamp on the opposite side and looked for deviations from the line. The red circles are stamps that jumped out as crooked. The blue lines represent 3 curves in the stamping lines on your way around that represent a gradual change in angle. The lines are where the stamps should line up, and the dots are where the actually are.

I know its messy however and some of the blue dots are hard to see, i was working fast and at low resolution due to small original photo, i think those 3 curves added up to the extra half stamp at the arrow you put in the pic(or one stamp away rather)

edit...The pic would help...

post-60185-0-38775600-1452878627_thumb.j

Edited by TinkerTailor

I think you gradually curved your way around the box, gaining a half stamp worth of space along the way. I drew a grid of red lines on the picture from a corner of the stamp to the same corner on the corresponding stamp on the opposite side and looked for deviations from the line. The red circles are stamps that jumped out as crooked. The blue lines represent 3 curves in the stamping lines on your way around that represent a gradual change in angle. The lines are where the stamps should line up, and the dots are where the actually are.

I know its messy however and some of the blue dots are hard to see, i was working fast and at low resolution due to small original photo, i think those 3 curves added up to the extra half stamp at the arrow you put in the pic(or one stamp away rather)

edit...The pic would help...

attachicon.gifbasket.jpg

I was afraid I was curving some. I'm going to try some ways mentioned, and practice a lot. Thanks!