Sign in to follow this  
107ch

Help for Newbie!!

Howdy,

I am new to the forum. I would Like to make an 1870's style half seat saddle. I am not interested in doing this for a business. I just want one good, well fit saddle for my horse. I figure we have another 15 yrs. together so I want to make it a good one. I am very much a history buff and a cowboy shooter as well, which is why I want the old style. I figure to order a tree from Lewis ?? I am wondering if a leather kit from Bowden is a good plan? I have all of the Stohlman books but that is about it. I am looking for patterns, maybe another book or DVD, and some guidance on how to get started. I'm sure some are rolling their eyes at another newbie post, but hey, we all have to start somewhere. I look forward to hearing from all of you experienced saddle makers.

Regards,

Dennis H.

No bad questions on this board. I am also wanting to build my first saddle and am wanting to build one exactly as you've described with Sam Stagg rigging. I drool alot over Will Ghormleys 1870's Colorado stock saddle.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/

It is under the saddles button. Will has been working on patterns and instructions for making historically accurate saddles.

My question has and still is on doing the half seat itself. I have never seen a half seat saddle in person so I am totally clueless as to have the seat leather wraps under the seat.

Maybe someone with experience on these will chime in.

Tim