Sign in to follow this  
DavidL

Does This Awl Haft Need A Vice To Set A Blade?

don't know what you're asking the awl haft in your link has a collet and comes with a wrench to tighten it

I have no clue about awl hafts i usually buy with the blade attached so this is new to me. When I had a tandy awl when i started, it took me a while to get the blade into position and it had to be fixed into the hole even with a collet. My question would be does the blade sit in position by just tightening the collet or does a vice need to hold the blade and then the haft is inserted?

uhhhh the awl haft you linked to has a collet and comes with the wrench (shown) that tightens it in the collet. that's what the collet is for. you don't need a vice or anything like that.

You should be able to tighten the collet and hold the awl blade in place. I have a Douglass blade and it works fine that way.

Bob

I use the smaller Osborne haft with collet and it works fine with the Douglas blade. The collets are the same so, yes, the one pictured will work with a Douglas blade.

Dan

okay thanks for resolving that for me, now all i need is that bob douglas awl blade thats currently on backorder.

okay thanks for resolving that for me, now all i need is that bob douglas awl blade thats currently on backorder.

Keep telling yourself its worth the wait. That's what I'm doin. I've had my Bearman awl handle sitting on the bench awaiting the blades arrival for a month now! :)

got an email from bearman saying 3 weeks till i would receive a handle and bob douglas awl are sold out too. :(

Cant wait for a new awl.. my tip on my awl has a burr that gives a terrible gouge on the the backside.

You know, with some 1000 and 2000 grit wed/dry sandpaper you might be able to work out that burr and clean up the edges of the awl.