4x4Ford

Adding Breast Collar D Rings

Thinking about trying to add D rings to my saddle to attach my breast collar. I came accross this site while looking for info. Great place and I have learned a lot from here already.

Anyway, I am a team roper and the saddle I am looking to add the D rings to is a Dale Martin roping saddle. Anyone have any advice about how to do this? I have never done any leather work but I am pretty handy and I think I can figure it out. My main concern is how to attach the D rings in a way that will make them strong enough. I am a header and pulling steers can put quite a bit of pressure on the breast collar. Any asive would be appreciated.

First, if your Martin saddle is a roping saddle, where are the present dees located? Is your saddle inskirt rigged or drop dee style rigging? Inskirt rigging, I'd suggest using a pulling collar that has the collar billets that go through the hand hole and around the fork. It gives strength and doesn't require adding dees. If you have a drop dee style rigging, you can attach your clip and dees to the rigging plates using no. 9 copper rivets. Another way is to attach the clip and dees to the skirts at a position that is desirable for your collar. However, this doesn't offer the strength that you'll need, and the head of the rivet would be showing on the wool side of the skirts (simple way). Hard way would require taking out seams, riveting and resewing.

Thanks for the response. My saddle has drop D rigging. Most the Martin roping saddles that I have seen only come with D rings for the breast collar if it has in skirt rigging. And the rings are through the skirting on these. I will look into adding the rings to the rigging on my saddle. Thanks