ryan

Product Photography

I have been working on a website for some time now and, having looked through all my pictures as I post them, I have noticed a steady improvement in not only my workmanship but also in my photography skills over the years. However, I still am in need of some drastic improvement in picture quality. My shop is way too dark and I have been taking some pretty good ones outside. I have been using a little Kodak 6 megapixel that we got at Walmart a couple years ago. It does take pretty good pictures but I feel I'm ready to step up to an SLR. I've been looking at the Canon Rebel XT but thought I'd ask everyone here first. Also, I have seen some really cool DIY projects for making your own light boxes for product photography which would be great for holsters and wallets etc. But I am wondering what everyone does for their bigger projects like chaps and saddles. I just took photos of a pair of top grain show chaps I made for my wife and was very displeased with the quality of the pictures!! Are there any good references that anyone knows of that I could get somewhat of a crash course in digital photography?

P.S.

I'll be sure and let everyone know when I post my site!

Ryan

Don't get hooked up on cameramodels, all Canon SLR's will allow you to step up the ISO level pretty much without disturbing noise wich will be a good aid in your dark shop. I go with Canon because of the good variety of used lenses available on the market but I think Nikon will do just as fine.

For product photography you can do quite allright with longer shutterspeeds since the object will be static. Even lighting is more critical I think.

Therefore I recommend a good tripod and a remotecontrol trigger (can be found cheap on e-bay).

For product photography you'll want to blur out the background as much as possible to really make the object pop out of the picture and this can be resolved in different ways so I recommend you start in that end and look for what kind of lens you want. It's not the camera that makes the photographer but the lenses make a real difference. One get's what one pay for and sadly the little better lenses are incredibly more expensive.

I recommend that you rule out kitlenses for this type of photography aswell as wideangle lenses and if a zoom is really desired it's gonna cost some money.

Good luck with your next investment!

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Oh forgot the obvious!

A macrolens would work just fine for you and not very expensive either only crotch is that they are useless as a "walkaround" lens.

Many portrait photographers prefer macrolenses and they sure do blur out the background.

Just make sure you control the field of depth properly with the f-stops or you'll end up with a (non)depth like this.

Tummen_upp.jpg

post-5146-1200298875_thumb.jpg

Ryan,

You might want to check out www.photo.net. They have several articles on choosing a digital camera which can be found here. They also have a great forum that will be able to answer any other questions you might have.

Jason

PS: You can't go wrong with the Cannon Rebel XTi if you upgrade the kit lens.

Ryan, I'm a professional photog and the rebel is a good camera if you have the right lens, for the money the 50mm prime lens is a great deal at around 80 bucks, being prime it doesnt zoom in or out, but it can give you great depth of field for "blurring out the background" I believe the aperture goes down to 1.4 so you can get photos in lower light conditions, and at lower ISOs so there less noisy.

Hope this helps

Eric

With PVC pipe you can build a light box as big as you need; use the 1.5 or 2 in pipe for extra support. You can get clamp on reflectors and 100 watt daylight balanced compact fluorescent lights at Lowe's or Home Depot. The great thing with the fluorescent lights is they don't generate much heat. One thing worth spending some dollars on is a good tripod. You need one heavy enough to dampen out any vibrations and that will let you use longer exposure times to get great well lit photos.

Your local fabric store will yield many different fabrics that can be used as backgrounds and also as diffusers over the light box. Check you local camera stores or book stores for photography books. There are many many books about digital photography. While I haven't seen any geared to product photography per se, books on portrait photography would be of great help. The lighting principals are the same just switch the product for the person.

Canon cameras are excellent cameras. I've used Canons for over 30 years both as a professional and amateur photographer. I now have a Canon S3IS an excellent camera for the money. It's a mega zoom camera. 30 years of packing 20 to 40 lbs of camera gear took its toll on my back. So sold off all my gear and settled for a mega zoom, about 1 lb and it does everything that I need and then some. The new digitals do things that I could only dream about 15 years ago!!

Edited by gunfighter48

I use a Nikon D80 for all my photography, leather and otherwise, and couldn't be more happy with it. I have a comment on what TomSwede said about blurring the background. In my opinion, it would be better to simply have a background that isn't distracting and therefore doesn't need to be blurred. The reason is that when you use a really shallow depth of field, you risk having parts of your work out of focus if it is something small and you need to be close up. If you have a large enough aperture that the background is out of focus on a close up, then what is in focus will be a very thin plane, such as the cool butterfly picture that TomSwede posted. That picture doesnt have or need more than a few millimeters in focus, however, if you have a project that has some curvature to it, you want it all to be in focus. On the note of backgrounds, this web site has a pop-up soft box that would be a easy, albeit more expensive, way to accomplish the same thing as the do-it-yourself project with PVC pipes and paper.

Photgraphing my leather has been a long going battle. Purchased a Canon today and I'm like a kid in a candy store.

dbar1__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204420755_thumb.jpg

dbarleather,

Whose basketweave stamp is that? That's an awfully good, and consistent line impression.

dbarleather,

Whose basketweave stamp is that? That's an awfully good, and consistent line impression.

Ryan,

That is an Ellis Barnes stamp....my basketweave. Thanks for the compliment.

I have a Rebel XT and am very happy with it, but I already had some Canon lenses or I might have ended up going Nikon. Both great brands. Others are making SLR's too, but the key to any of them are the lenses. I know pros who use Canon and pros who use Nikon. They'll swear by their gear.

The Canon kit lens is junk. Buy a body and get a half-decent lens for it. If you can swing the cash, go for a pro lens. I like a zoom because I get more options (Canon EFS 17-85 IS USM MACRO). Image stabilization ROCKS. The lens was as much as the body when I bought and I've been thrilled with it. I've been eyeballing a Tamron macro lens, either a 90mm or 180mm, but need to fund it somehow. I'll probably jump to the 180 when I take the plunge (since I'm already at 85...) Those are true macro (1:1) lenses, while my multi-purpose gets close, but not quite 1:1.

The secret for great pics is LIGHT. Lightbox info in the other thread. A SOLID tripod and release are important too. All my pics I've posted here are handheld shots with the built-in flash on auto, and none of them are all that impressive.

Attached are some (hopefully) more impressive shots. I've JPEG'd them WAY down from 9MB raw files, but they still look decent. All shot using a tripod.

IMG_2087.JPG

Just got the Tripod, old Tamron 80-200 zoom in my front yard during a garage sale.

IMG_2156.JPG

Merimec Caverns boat launch, web in a branch about 20ft from a railing, overhanging the stream.

IMG_2338.JPG

Dallas Arboretum, going macro!

Brent

post-5266-1201322288_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1201322301_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1201322316_thumb.jpg

Edited by howardb

I think for decent product photography, the least expensive digital SLR body with a good lens is a must. I'd say Canon or Nikon. I use the Canon rebel XT and am looking to sale my EOS film body. I'm really surprised how fast digital cameras have replaced film cameras. It seems like only a year ago people were arguing that that time was far off in the future. Even professional photographers are probably shooting more digital than film.

ed

I have been working on a website for some time now and, having looked through all my pictures as I post them, I have noticed a steady improvement in not only my workmanship but also in my photography skills over the years. However, I still am in need of some drastic improvement in picture quality. My shop is way too dark and I have been taking some pretty good ones outside. I have been using a little Kodak 6 megapixel that we got at Walmart a couple years ago. It does take pretty good pictures but I feel I'm ready to step up to an SLR. I've been looking at the Canon Rebel XT but thought I'd ask everyone here first. Also, I have seen some really cool DIY projects for making your own light boxes for product photography which would be great for holsters and wallets etc. But I am wondering what everyone does for their bigger projects like chaps and saddles. I just took photos of a pair of top grain show chaps I made for my wife and was very displeased with the quality of the pictures!! Are there any good references that anyone knows of that I could get somewhat of a crash course in digital photography?

P.S.

I'll be sure and let everyone know when I post my site!

Ryan

Ryan,

I know you asked this question over a month ago but I just read it. I noticed no one answered your question on saddle photos so I thought I'd share with you at least a possible option and it is the method I use. Several years ago Texas Monthly sent a professional photographer to my shop to take some photos so I used the opportunity to drill him with questions. He also taught photography at a college so he was used to a lot of questions. I asked him what would be the best way to photograph saddles.

He recommended going to a flooring store and buy a cheap piece of linoleum about 15' long. He said to use the backside for the background. He recommended painting it white but I was able to find a piece a little off white on the back already. If you tell them what you're doing they will often have pieces left on an odd roll that is maybe a lousy pattern on the other side so they sell it pretty cheap. I paid $15 for mine. It's abot 6' wide. I bought a piece of pipe about 8' long, threads on both ends, put a cap on one end and an elbow on the other with a short piece of pipe screwed into that to simply create an L. Built a simple frame out of 2x4's so it would hang on an outside wall. I may need to take a picture of mine if that would help. I know a picture's worth a thousand words. At any rate, I used duct tape to tape one end to the pipe. Then you can simply roll it up on the pipe to get it out of the way. When you need to take a photo, pull the roll down and your flooring unrolls. Pull it far enough down so it serves as background and floor underneath the saddle.I also folded the outer end of mine and sewed a seam so the outer end would be a little easier to manage. Set you're stand on the flooring. Throw a sheet over your stand and you have a great outdoor studio to take saddle or chap photos. Originally mine was under the eaves of my shop, which gave some protection from the weather. Now I built a porch on my shop so its under the porch ready to use anytime. I also recommend putting it where its not in direct sunlight, or waiting until the time of day when the sun doesn't create shadows on your subject. If I need to take a photo of mine, let me know. I've had good luck with this set up and it's pretty inexpensive to build. Hope that helps.

Troy West

A picture or two would be great. It's funny you brought up the linoluem; I work with a gal who's husband owns a flooring store /installation business and I just spoke to him last night about getting scraps. I thought it might work for pattern material since it's a little closer to the feel of leather compared to tag board and a lot more durable. I hope to get to building a couple saddles right away this spring once I get caught up. It's great to see you found your way to this forum, I remember seeing the saddle you built for your daughter in LCSJ. Your work is very inspiring.

Thanks Again

Ryan

Ryan,

I know you asked this question over a month ago but I just read it. I noticed no one answered your question on saddle photos so I thought I'd share with you at least a possible option and it is the method I use. Several years ago Texas Monthly sent a professional photographer to my shop to take some photos so I used the opportunity to drill him with questions. He also taught photography at a college so he was used to a lot of questions. I asked him what would be the best way to photograph saddles.

He recommended going to a flooring store and buy a cheap piece of linoleum about 15' long. He said to use the backside for the background. He recommended painting it white but I was able to find a piece a little off white on the back already. If you tell them what you're doing they will often have pieces left on an odd roll that is maybe a lousy pattern on the other side so they sell it pretty cheap. I paid $15 for mine. It's abot 6' wide. I bought a piece of pipe about 8' long, threads on both ends, put a cap on one end and an elbow on the other with a short piece of pipe screwed into that to simply create an L. Built a simple frame out of 2x4's so it would hang on an outside wall. I may need to take a picture of mine if that would help. I know a picture's worth a thousand words. At any rate, I used duct tape to tape one end to the pipe. Then you can simply roll it up on the pipe to get it out of the way. When you need to take a photo, pull the roll down and your flooring unrolls. Pull it far enough down so it serves as background and floor underneath the saddle.I also folded the outer end of mine and sewed a seam so the outer end would be a little easier to manage. Set you're stand on the flooring. Throw a sheet over your stand and you have a great outdoor studio to take saddle or chap photos. Originally mine was under the eaves of my shop, which gave some protection from the weather. Now I built a porch on my shop so its under the porch ready to use anytime. I also recommend putting it where its not in direct sunlight, or waiting until the time of day when the sun doesn't create shadows on your subject. If I need to take a photo of mine, let me know. I've had good luck with this set up and it's pretty inexpensive to build. Hope that helps.

Troy West

Thanks for the compliment Ryan. I've been out of town a few days and just saw your post. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow.

Troy

Ryan,

I took some photos today but all I had was a 35mm and didn't get them developed. I did find a photo taken a couple of years ago. My shop is to the left with the row of windows. The pipe and linoleum to the right obviously. I now have a deck the full length of the house that is 16' deep so everything is under roof but I still take pictures in the same place. I'll try to post a picture with this exact set-up to show how it looks with natural lighting.

Troy

scan002.jpg

post-5656-1204606424_thumb.jpg

With most of the stuff I make i shoot on my bench. I bought a piece of thicker card stock that i put a soft bend in for a background. I use the same lights I work with. They're Sylvania True light bulbs. 150 watt. For me they provide the whitest light without spending a bunch of cash on lights. I use a small Canon SD550 digital elph. I use the manual mode with macro setting on and usually set the white point on the camera to incandescant. (light bulb icon) I set the camera as close as possible and use my tripod. Note: i do have a Canon that I use to shoot live music but have had less than desireable results with that camera. When the photo is done its almost perfect most of the time and i don;t have to do correction in Photoshop. I do correct sometimes. BUT you should shoot the photo with not having to worrying baout correction as most people don;t have that luxury. Most ofmy photos come out like the one attached. Keep taking the good advice in this string and keep expermenting!

IMG_0574.jpg

post-5239-1206214584_thumb.jpg

Ryan, I'm a professional photog and the rebel is a good camera if you have the right lens, for the money the 50mm prime lens is a great deal at around 80 bucks, being prime it doesnt zoom in or out, but it can give you great depth of field for "blurring out the background" I believe the aperture goes down to 1.4 so you can get photos in lower light conditions, and at lower ISOs so there less noisy.

Hope this helps

Eric

I have the Canon 50mm f1.8 II lens. It is a nice, inexpensive little lens, but it does have it's drawbacks, such as being notorious for inconsistent focus, and a cheap build. What can you expect for $80

I have a Rebel XT and am very happy with it, but I already had some Canon lenses or I might have ended up going Nikon. Both great brands. Others are making SLR's too, but the key to any of them are the lenses. I know pros who use Canon and pros who use Nikon. They'll swear by their gear.

The Canon kit lens is junk. Buy a body and get a half-decent lens for it. If you can swing the cash, go for a pro lens. I like a zoom because I get more options (Canon EFS 17-85 IS USM MACRO). Image stabilization ROCKS. The lens was as much as the body when I bought and I've been thrilled with it. I've been eyeballing a Tamron macro lens, either a 90mm or 180mm, but need to fund it somehow. I'll probably jump to the 180 when I take the plunge (since I'm already at 85...) Those are true macro (1:1) lenses, while my multi-purpose gets close, but not quite 1:1.

The secret for great pics is LIGHT. Lightbox info in the other thread. A SOLID tripod and release are important too. All my pics I've posted here are handheld shots with the built-in flash on auto, and none of them are all that impressive.

Attached are some (hopefully) more impressive shots. I've JPEG'd them WAY down from 9MB raw files, but they still look decent. All shot using a tripod.

Brent

I don't think the kit lens is junk at all. There are some bad copies out there, but the one I have is really sharp. It's a great little lens to use while you figure out what direction you're gonna take in photography, and while learning to use an SLR. I don't know why so many people love to slam it. I have many other nice lenses, such as a Canon 70-200 f4L, and a Sigma 50-500. I also own a sigma 105macro, and the Canon 50mm f1.8II cheapo, and I still find my kit lens on board quite often. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

http://www.pbase.com/justpeachy/image/49252702

A macro to get you started

http://www.pbase.com/justpeachy/image/62190573

Shot with the Sigma 50-500mm

Edited by Hilly

At the moment I am using a Nikon P3 so I thought I would throw in a quick review of it here reviewing what you would need.

It's a point and shoot camera with macro, some adjustability in manual mode and a useful selection of scene modes from portrait, macro, twilight, document etc etc.

It's not as sharp as my previous nikon 4300, but I upgraded originally because of size limitations.

I can get fantastic shots of most stuff on macro mode if full daylight is used, but can be tricky to get used to indoors. It is definately suitable for your needs but there is a definate learning curve with it. If your fairly experienced you won't have a problem.

I also point you to the site which I use now to browse digital cameras. It's an amazing site with rantastic detail in all the reviews, I highly recommend you spend a night or two looking through it and using the compare buttons...

Digital photography reviews

Just had a quick look around and if I was to upgrade again I would look at the canon powershot G9

Now I know you were looking at SLR's originally but check it out anyway you might be surprised.

Hope I have helped a bit

Edited by 8thsinner