DoktorPsych0

Outfit Design (Rouge/ Highwayman/ranger/rover)

i'm trying to create a multi-use jacket, belt, and other pieces of adornment for my faire persona that i can also wear around the normal world without getting too many strange looks (at least with the jacket).

my jacket i want to come down to my knees and have a suitable sized belt to hold all my needed items. Do any of you know of where i could get a good pattern for the jacket that would be somewhat 'street legal' but still fall under the general 11th-12th century time period? also, any leather suggestions of what to make it of?

ps. i do have an idea that i'd like to do but i don't have the garment skills to just put it together without a pattern. i can modify other patterns to what i am looking for but i am unable (so far) to put it together without a previous design to go off of.

thank you in advance,

Chris

Head out to a Walmart of JoAnns Sewing place, . . .

They have books and books of patterns, . . . each can be "adjusted" if you are willing and competent.

AND, . . . they are fairly cheap

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

i've looked at their designs and none have been close enough to warrant getting and modifying. the last jacket i did, i used one of the pirate patterns and found many errors along the way of my own accord. it came out nice but not quite what i was after.

Hi

I have used these people's patterns in the past for costume stuff I have had to make. some of them are really simple, but others appear to be fairly accurate from a historical perspective

http://www.folkwear.com/frontier.html

Not sure if something there might work for you

Natalie

only one or two peaked my interest but i'd still have to modify the hell out of them to get them right. :/

only one or two peaked my interest but i'd still have to modify the hell out of them to get them right. :/

Hope you make it......i refer to it as research and devlopment.

only you know exactly what you want.please post photos when you get it finished.........

i've got the sketch in my truck and getting the leather by the weekend. hope to at least get the leather cut before the end of the weekend. i'm thinking i'm going to use one of my larger shirts as the pattern for it and just elongate it some. then add sleeves. still have to pick up a few pieces to get everything together but it shouldn't be all that hard to do it.

any suggestions on leather?

i've got the sketch in my truck and getting the leather by the weekend. hope to at least get the leather cut before the end of the weekend. i'm thinking i'm going to use one of my larger shirts as the pattern for it and just elongate it some. then add sleeves. still have to pick up a few pieces to get everything together but it shouldn't be all that hard to do it.

any suggestions on leather?

You might try this link. There are also a couple of other non-corporate makers of patterns that my wife and I googled and found. I don't have the links here, but there were a number of them popping up with search terms of renaissance+sewing+patterns. Prices were $7-$11.

http://tudorshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=P

Regarding leather, right now my local Tandy is piled high with 34-40 sq.ft. odd-lot upholstery leather full hides. They tell me this is the case in other stores nationwide as well. They were a special from a couple of months ago, but they havent sold out. The price is $1.50 per sq ft, which is amazing. I've bought several of these hides for various purposes, but keep eying them for a cape or cloak. They drape very well, are about 2 oz and have a water resistant finished exterior (like you'd expect on a couch). If I were doing what you are doing, I'd go with these, assuming your closest Tandy has any left.

BTW, 11th-12th century is pretty early dark ages to mix with a 21st century look. That's crusade time and all I can think of is a surcoat. Collars and other accoutrements hadn't been invented (or in style) at that time, they way they might be in the 1500's or 1600's. Wthout seeing your sketch its hard to react, but you may want to rethink the time period - to make it easier to mesh with current day. And, at our local faire, you'd get the local Professor character coming up to you to explain that Jerusalem is "that way", as he does to anyone more than a couple of hundred years earlier than the age of Henry and his wives (good fun, but pointing out the disconnect with the actual faire period).

No offense, just an observation. Hope this is helpful.

part of the reason for the time period is for Sherwood Forest Faire (1190AD) and my camp which is viking based. we run our faire clothes a little older than most at the larger faires (the main one being Texas Ren Fest). Soon as i digitize my sketch i will upload it.

My idea is just a few hairs off of surcoat. Thank you for that! I can definitely work with a surcoat design!

I will take a look at upholstery leather (i have two different tandy's in the area) soon as i can

Edited by DoktorPsych0

part of the reason for the time period is for Sherwood Forest Faire (1190AD) and my camp which is viking based. we run our faire clothes a little older than most at the larger faires (the main one being Texas Ren Fest). Soon as i digitize my sketch i will upload it.

My idea is just a few hairs off of surcoat. Thank you for that! I can definitely work with a surcoat design!

I will take a look at upholstery leather (i have two different tandy's in the area) soon as i can

Ah very good. Frankly, some of the more interesting stuff to me is from the earlier period. I guess it appeals to the kid in me, more than than some of the frilly later period stuff.

I've certainly been to TRF in Conroe, and though it presumes to be Tudor period, I recall alot more 1400's stuff than we have here at the big faires in Colorado and Kansas City. Perhaps because our days can be cooler -- summer mornings in Colorado can start at 45-50 degrees and KC is in the fall -- you will see alot more full jacket garb with high collars and such.

Good luck, hopefully the same leather is available.

here was my design. Sorry for the lack of drawing ability on it. i'm still deciding on using the arm pieces for it or not.

here was my design. Sorry for the lack of drawing ability on it. i'm still deciding on using the arm pieces for it or not.

I can't see it on the computer I am at now. Often that is a firewall issue, sometimes though it is a problem with the post. Maybe others can see it.

Either way, you may want to consider doing the arms as detachable laced on pieces. In the time period you mention, attaching sleeves this way wasnt uncommon. Not sure the reason, other than style, but it will give you flexibility to wear with and without.

sorry, the file didn't upload. it is attached now.

post-17931-084943500 1301590829_thumb.jp

sorry, the file didn't upload. it is attached now.

Interesting.

For some reason, I expected it to be longer. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure why you couldnt use this pattern and modify it a bit - http://www.ecrater.com/p/6338493/mccalls-5907-mp316-medieval-costumes-sewing The collar would probably be the most difficult thing to put together.

I typically transfer these tissue paper patters to poster board and then cut them out. The tissue paper is useful for pinning to fabric, but that would scar the leather. Before cutting them out, you can sketch-edit the differences.