Sign in to follow this  
Johannes

Making Patterns From Pictures

Hey im new on here and I have a question kinda like the one thats pinned. I found this picture of a painting in a book and I made a pattern for it. Ive been tooling it and would like to enter it in a compitition but dont know if theres any rules against it. I did change it a bit to make it easier to tool, so I was wondering if that makes it okay.

Hey im new on here and I have a question kinda like the one thats pinned. I found this picture of a painting in a book and I made a pattern for it. Ive been tooling it and would like to enter it in a compitition but dont know if theres any rules against it. I did change it a bit to make it easier to tool, so I was wondering if that makes it okay.

Copyright laws are very convoluted. Your intended use could get you in trouble. Subtle changes normally do not keep you out of the "Soup" :)

ferg

If you are going to "borrow" stuff, you need to be more sneaky, lol! For example: if you want to use a horse pic, go ahead. BUT, change the background, alter the mane, or whatever you need to do to conceal your "borrowing".

On the other hand; are you sure the painting is copywrited. If so, perhaps you could contact the owner and ask their permission to use the pic.

I have found that if you give the originating artist proper credit and DO NOT make a money making enterprise out of your project as well as the aforementioned recomendations, you should be ok. check your contest rules.

Thank you everyone. Ill try to contact the artist for permission. And I wasnt planning on selling it, I already like it too much for that:)