VanDutch

How Would You Do This?

Hey guys..

This is an Ipad case and I really like the detailing on the outside namely the raised sections. I know the case is made from 2 layers of leather but how best to mould/insert the raised section without it bulging on the inside.

Thanks in advance.post-47764-0-08490800-1401830812_thumb.g

i saw something similar a while back, its just if i can explain without making it confusing, i'm god at that. confusing that is.

if i remember rightly, they used thinner leather on the outer skin, sewed a line, placed either string or a small plastic rod against the sewed line and slightly strecthed the thin leather over the rod, then sewed that down the side. result slightly raised on teh fron almost no bulge on the inner as the outer thinner leather is stretched over rod, and backing is flat. clear as mud........ I think

Two pieces of leather glued together.

Between the two pieces of leather are three stiff leather/ cardboard and 2 long bands.

As you can see there are spaces between the bands and stiff leather inserts, that allow the case to bend (I'm guessing its a iPad smart cover).

The bands won't bulge on the inside since they are flat on one side.

I don't expect you to use this but I want to take a stab at it to see if I'm thinking right. (lol, I mean, I'd like to test my idea and see what the experts think afterwards - as I know I am not anywhere near an expert).

I would cut out the top piece and wet mold it over cord or rope or some long round thing that fits the size of the raised part I want and let it dry completely. Then I'd glue the strips of cord into the trenches and squash them down as much as possible so that they are as flat as can be. After that's dried I;d continue with gluing and sewing it to the inside piece.

And if that is actually a good idea I can think of many ways to use it - not just for straight lines - make patterns out of the cord - maybe letters even.

I figure I'd have cord on hand but another way would be to make a clay mold and let it dry and wet form the leather over that. Still might need to fill the raised spots with something though....

So feel free to be brutally honest with this idea and please tell me what would work better... :-) (lol, there's probably a long-known easy way to do it already. That's what I'm here to learn)

edit to add: there were no responses when I started so I see there's already much better ideas now.

Edited by HippieLee

Lee prretty much has it down. All this is........is an adaptation of the technique used by very high end bookbinders. Any good bookbinding guide will explain this in detail.

I would use some Kydex to keep it stiff. and cut a strip of leather and maybe skive id to the thickness that feels right. The Kydex will keep the swell on one side of the cover.

The upholstery shops make Piping by sewing a plastic line between 1 strip of material. Youtube upholstery piping.This is the same idea.

For reference purposes, plastic piping filler and other items on rolls tend to like to wiggle and move, for short runs like you have, plastic welding rod comes in many different sizes and are readily available online.

The kydex is a great idea as well. If you're not familiar with it, it's a heavy but light plastic material that is used for heat forming.