hazymat

Greetings From London Uk

I've been loitering and pilfering advice on this forum for a good few days now so thought it might be time to introduce myself.

My name is Mat, I am a freelance photographer from London, and I'm looking to get started in the amazing world of leather working.

Although I took horse-riding lessons when I was younger, I am much more of the indoorsy type, I like tech, gadgets, urban / fashion-inspired design, and ingenious, minimal styles when it comes to leather.

I'll be completely up-front and say that I'm far more interested in the overall form of a project rather than the decorative aspect of leatherworking and I must admit I don't like any kind of patterns or fussy coloured dying, and believe that debossing should be reserved for text or discreet logos only ;)

That said, this is only my personal aesthetic; I understand the wonderful tradition of decorative tooling, and can appreciate it in a detached way as an art form in itself.

I guess the joy of leather working is that it encompasses so many different styles and backgrounds and preferences!

So far I've bought a load of tools, cut up a load of high quality leather, but stopped short of actually beginning to make my first bag. I'm waiting for a delivery of beeswax, the Valerie Michael book, and something to sharpen my useless awl, before I get properly started!

Hello!

Edited by hazymat

Welcome! It will be interesting to see what you come up with for a designed piece. Post some photos when you get started.

I've yet to do a full introduction post myself, but with the reference to Valerie Michael I had to post!

If you ever get the chance, funding allowing, I'd definitely recommend that you head to Tetbury and take a course with Val and Neil, trading under Macgregor & Michael! I did a decorative leather course (so clearly your cup of tea :P ) and it was marvellous.

They have construction-related courses, and the knowledge you gain (along with the contacts they can provide you with) is invaluable.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi there...i am Mark and live up in the wooly wilds of Co.Durham...always nice to see a fellow Brit getting in to this great craft....mail me if you need some advise or help.