Anchored Threads

Best Finish For My Wallet

I am new to the game but love it so far! Something about taking a side of leather and turning it into something for everyday functions is awesome!

My question is needing some input on the process of finishing my leather. Especially for natural Veg Tan. On the wallet show I just used a couple coats of mink oil. I ordered some Obanaufs. I like the look that the mink oil gave (a nice Carmel tone) but it is already getting dark spots. Almost black. I know over time it will darken but not this early. Do I need to put a top coat of some sort on it. Any ideas?

post-49827-0-51802200-1392827831_thumb.j

When I make bacon theme bracelets (brown and undyed design), I use Tandy Super Sheen on the undyed leather and that keeps it nice and clean. It also leaves it a little shiny and would crack over time if it were something that bends sharply like a folding wallet.

When I make bacon theme bracelets (brown and undyed design), I use Tandy Super Sheen on the undyed leather and that keeps it nice and clean. It also leaves it a little shiny and would crack over time if it were something that bends sharply like a folding wallet.

Thanks Joe!

I have tried the super Sheen and the only thing I didn't like was it made the leather feel kinda like "plastic". Not sure if there was something else out there

On most bracelets, after I dye, I use a 50/50 mix of Mop and Glow and water applied with a very lightly damp sponge. Some leathers need more applications and you can control how shiny it gets by how many coats you apply. This seals the dye in pretty well and stops almost all rub off but I have no idea how it might work for preventing stains on lighter leather. I also apply a diluted Kiwi Leather Lotion as my top coat after some neatsfoot oil. This gives the leather a more 'buttery' feel, makes it pretty water resistant and gives it a nice shine without looking like plastic.

I'm no expert and I am sure some here have the perfect solution. This is just what has worked for me.