King's X

Sewing Awl

Here is a good one for you leatherworkers. Do you use a "sewing awl?" If so, when, or what situations? What is the theory behind this thing they call a "sewing awl?"

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

~ Remember: Stop & Strop! ~

Here is a good one for you leatherworkers. Do you use a "sewing awl?" If so, when, or what situations? What is the theory behind this thing they call a "sewing awl?"

Do you mean this? Or this?

Kate

I choose this. Thanks for the clarification. I posted a picture here.

1216_00_L.JPG

post-6330-1232684494_thumb.jpg

Yep that's the culprit, many sore fingers.... :ranting2:

These are the sewing awls that I always use. They vary in length from 3/4" to 3 1/2". The longer they are the thicker they are.

Tony.

awl2.JPG

post-5242-1232699162_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonyc1

I appreciate the responses. I have two that were given to me, but I have never ventured to use them. I was just wondering if anyone where uses it.

I appreciate the responses. I have two that were given to me, but I have never ventured to use them. I was just wondering if anyone where uses it.

I use one of these occasionally to lock-stitch pieces of soft leather together. It's okay to use when the stitches will not be that visible (such as a soft leather bag, in which the seams are turned out), and if the seams of the item are not going to be subject to a lot of stress.

But for most of my sewn pieces, I prefer a saddle stitch.

This is just my own preference. I'm sure others have applications for it that I haven't thought of...

Kate

I don't use the one you've pictured, I don't like those at all... I do use these occasionally though: speedy stitcher. I don't own a sewing machine so when I need to do a repair I use it. I have also stitched knife sheaths together with it, or purses, things like that. But I've also repaired saddles. When I was quite young (a *really* long time ago, just use your imagination) I repaired a McClellan saddle for a cowboy. Years later he asked me if I wanted to buy a saddle from him. It was the same one, but I did not realize it when I bought it... it took another 10 years before I realized that. I had to do the same repair many years later, and recognized my own stitching!

I used one until I learned to do the saddle stitch.

There's an old joke about some tools let you do the job fast, some let you do the job slow, and the tool I have is in-between - it's just a half-fast tool. (If you say that quickly, you may get the joke.)

This style of tool has been around for many years and was intended to be a quick field tool that would let you take care of making the hole and doing the stitching all in one piece. As a result, it doesn't do a particularly good job of either. (Again, 'half-fast') As an illustration of my lack of respect for it, the last time I used it was to patch a lawnmower bag bottom with a piece of scrap leather. It does work, but that type of stitch isn't nearly as neat or strong as a saddle stitch.

I've used those stitchers. Was never satisfied with the results. Now, I use a sharp awl and two needles. The saddle stitch works perfect for the stuff I do.

ATX:

I'm way new to the forum but I can't help but put my two cents in here. This tool that you ask about makes a "lock stitch" just like any commercial sewing machine. Does that mean that anything that was sewn on a machine inferior? I think that there might be times that no other tool will allow you to join two pieces, like say down in the corner of a bag, in any other manner.

Arturo

I have one each of ATX's and Horsehair's. The Speedy Stitcher has never worked smoothly, it gets the job done, but i do it much better with the other. They're really handy for carrying in place of several needles and thread. Both have a needle holder and contained spool. The wooden handle makes it easier than using a sailor's palm at times.

heres another good way to hand sew,you need two awls one to make a hole, one to hold a hook needle from a lock stitch machine.you hole first, then push the hook thru catch th bottom thread in hook pull loop to the top,put top thread thru loop,pull bottom thread down till all slack is removed, then pull lock to middle out of site.usually make 10 holes n sew,goes pretty good and is as good as two needles i think adios pete

It is much easier and neater to use 2 needles and harness makers awl with a diamond shaped blade!!!

Tony.

heres another good way to hand sew,you need two awls one to make a hole, one to hold a hook needle from a lock stitch machine.you hole first, then push the hook thru catch th bottom thread in hook pull loop to the top,put top thread thru loop,pull bottom thread down till all slack is removed, then pull lock to middle out of site.usually make 10 holes n sew,goes pretty good and is as good as two needles i think adios pete

The problem with this is that if one stitch pops, the entire seam lets loose, because neither the top thread nor the bottom thread ever go through the leather; they just loop around each other. Those loops are what are holding the seam shut. With a saddle stitch, if a stitch on the top goes, the stitching from the bottom will still hold the seam shut.