Dallas Cowboy

What Machine Do You Use For Belts, Bags And Wallets

I am wondering what machine everyone uses for their belts, bags, wallets, book covers, chaps and such. What do you use and what do you think the best machine for the above is? I was originally looking for a machine that could do everything i listed plus holsters and I'm just not sure there is such a machine but i guess i can start with a smaller one for belts and such. Thanks DC

Tippman Boss will do all that.

If you're after a powered machine, consider the Cobra Class 4 or the Cowboy 4500. Both are 16" arm machines and will sew up to 7/8ths, as well as handling thinner weights. Steve (Cobra) has a couple of videos on his site, and at least one of them shows Heddy Pepper sewing a purse with a Class 4. You could go with the Class3 / 3500, but they are so close in price that it doesn't make sense to get the smaller machine.

Now, a one machine approach may be how you want to go, but you'll likely end up with at least two. The reason for this is that unless you have copious amounts of one type of item, you'll find yourself having to swap thread and readjust the tensions all the dang time. Most shops end up with a large capacity machine, and a second machine (perhaps a flat bed) for the smaller items. If you really intend to have a business out of it, you'll probably end up with a clone of a Singer 29 as well - it's a patcher machine, and no shop is truly complete without one.

I also have a Boss, but for 99% of my 'small' sewing, I revert to saddle stitching it with two needles. There's also the minor point of needing a muscle rub after making a gun belt for a customer with a 54" waist...at 6 spi (or 324 pulls of the handle) plus locking the stitches.

I haven't had much luck sewing thin leather on my 4500, it's better suited for 8oz. and up.

Agreed - one of the things I really want to start making is journal covers, but the machine can't really handle appropriately thin leather. The presser foot simply doesn't go low enough to apply any pressure to the leather. That being said, you can install the stirrup plate or the holster plate which solves the presser foot issue, though you gain the ugly puckering (from the lack of a lower feed dog pressing the stitch holes closed) on the backside of the leather (which can be hammered out easily enough) and the thinner leathers can have more of a tendency to slip down into the slot of the base plate.

I've debated buying a MUCH cheaper used Consew 206rb to use for journal covers, laptop & tablet sleeves, etc. so my Cobra Class 4 can focus on holster gear.

I would get a Consew 277 style machine with a flat bed attachment. In fact that's going to be my next machine.

thinner leathers can have more of a tendency to slip down into the slot of the base plate.

That's my problem as well.

Edited by Tree Reaper

That's my problem as well.

most saddle shops I have ever been in have at least 2 sewing machines. A heavy stitcher and a flat bed walking foot sewing machine. I have a Luberto's Classic that will sew 2 layers of 3 oz and will do an honest inch of skirting also. It just takes a lot of time when going between the two to get it adjusted just right. That is why I bought my first "chap" machine and would not be without a heavy sitcher and a chap machine both. My 2 cents worth. Ken

I am wondering what machine everyone uses for their belts, bags, wallets, book covers, chaps and such. What do you use and what do you think the best machine for the above is? I was originally looking for a machine that could do everything i listed plus holsters and I'm just not sure there is such a machine but i guess i can start with a smaller one for belts and such. Thanks DC

The items you listed first "belts, bags, wallets, book covers, chaps and such" are better done on a Compound Feed Table type machine. Lighter weight leather sewn in a Stitcher Type machine does not turn out as nice. You will not find a machine that does everything. Read some of Wiz's posts, he has done a great job describing the different machines and their uses.

When you start sewing thicker leather (like holsters) you will be better served with a Heavy Stitcher Cylinder Arm machine.

If there was a "Magic Bullet" machine that sewed everything our job would be much easier!!

It sounds like for your interests you need two machines. A table arm compound feed and a cylinder arm stitcher. Buy the table compound feed first for your lighter stuff then step up to the stitcher for holsters.

My shop has 3 main machines, 628 Cowboy (compound feed flat bed for some belts, bags, wallets, book covers, and chaps) Artisan 3000 (Saddle work, holsters, Tack) Singer 29k Patcher (for small detail and hard to reach areas, and some parts on bags and purses).

I have a couple others that I use for Cordura Bags and some lighter material that have a zig zag option but I bought them very cheap and only use them once in a while.

Just my opinion, hope it helps! :brainbleach:

Rick

To get to all you want...may take several machines..as you can see. I have a Singer 31-15, (~$200) for boot tops and light leather. A 111-w-155 (~$450) for a little bit more aggresive work. (still cannot find the spell check here!)!!!

Heavy stuff is for the CB 4500.... (~$2000...2,600) Sorry, No easy way for everything !

Figure out where you want to start.

Kevin

PS: Still want a Campbell for the real stitch. Maybe next life. LOL

Kevin

Thanks for all the input fellas. Right now i think i will start with a machine that i can do smaller stuff with like belts, book covers, chaps and such. Man are there a ton of options out there. LOLbrainbleach.gif

I would get a Consew 277 style machine with a flat bed attachment. In fact that's going to be my next machine.

What do you like about this machine?

What size leather will it sew?

Edited by Dallas Cowboy

I have a Cowboy 3500 and recently "discovered" that with 138 thread and #21 needle, and with the machine set for 7 stitches per inch, I'm able to sew two layers of upholstery leather very nicely......I've been making soft pouches....

Then with just changing thread and needle back to 207/#23 for belts, holsters, sheaths, etc.....I'm off and running without having to make any tension adjustment. Sweet deal.

That sounds really sweet

I like it because it's compound feed cylinder arm machine that sews the right thickness of leather for bags, wallets and belts. There are lots of clones of the 277 around, having said that for all I know the 277 is a knock off of something else.

Thanks for all the input fellas. Right now i think i will start with a machine that i can do smaller stuff with like belts, book covers, chaps and such. Man are there a ton of options out there. LOLbrainbleach.gif

What do you like about this machine?

What size leather will it sew?

most saddle shops I have ever been in have at least 2 sewing machines. A heavy stitcher and a flat bed walking foot sewing machine. I have a Luberto's Classic that will sew 2 layers of 3 oz and will do an honest inch of skirting also. It just takes a lot of time when going between the two to get it adjusted just right. That is why I bought my first "chap" machine and would not be without a heavy sitcher and a chap machine both. My 2 cents worth. Ken

Ken-What machine do you have for a chap machine?

I use my Artisan 3000 for holsters, heavier journals or binders, belts, and most chaps/chinks.

I use a Juki DNU-1541 for most purses, journals and wallets, and any other type of material I need (such as canvas).

There's really no way to have one machine for all leather. Between these two machines, I can do almost everything I want. I say "almost" because I use a regular sewing machine to sew cloth liners for the purses.

Note: there may be a better machine for wallets than the Juki, but I bought mine because I saw it worked for Kevin King. Not saying I wouldn't recommend the Juki, because it works great. Just sayin'. :o)

Ken-What machine do you have for a chap machine?

Walking foot, compound feed, currently 3 of them as I swap on sewing machines as a hobby. I would look for one that will sew a minimum of 3/8", have reverse although you can live without it. Servo motor is nice and a speed reducer behind it is extra-nice. Wiz seems to really like the servo with the built in speed reducer but I have never used one so I cannot in good faith comment on it. I have a like new 31-20 Singer that is a bottom feed with roller foot that is super good on light weight stuff. Also, if I only had one sewing machine, I would like it to go 207 on top and 138 on bottom. I don't know much about the lighter weight cylinder arms as I have never used one. In an ideal world, you would be able to try different machines before you purchase. If there had been Leatherworker when I started, I would not have made several expensive mistakes buying sewing machines I did make. Hope this helps. Ken