Sign in to follow this  

This is a large drawstring pouch I made from some #2 grade chrome tan buffalo hide. The top grain was somewhat rough looking in places and the color slightly irregular. So, out came the pyrography kit, white leather dye and copper acrylic paint.

The beads are laquered wood (black), glass pony (peach), and the cones are metal.

The feathers are from guinea hen and pheasant skins.

My pyrography kit goes up to approx. 2,000F and has temperature control. All the "pens" are steel with fixed points. This has made a huge difference in the quality of my lines, and the perdictability o the burn. I mention it because I used to use the cheap interchangable brass tip pens. They aren't bad for the money, but the threads on the tips tended to warp really fast, and I was spending a fair amount of money replacing them. I've had the higher-grade kit for at least 4-5 years and have not had to replace a pen yet. I use pyrography on both leather and wood. I like to carve veg. tan, but sometimes a customer wants something so complicated or small that it's not worth even pricing.

Celtic_Raven_Bag.JPG

post-6993-1248906004_thumb.jpg

Thats a pretty cool effect. Great job overall on that bag.

This is pretty nice. Do you happen to have a more closeup photo of your pyrography? Irt's just something that I may want to try and I'd like a better view of the results. Also, what's your method for getting the design on the leather in order to do the pyrography?

Thanks,

Andy