bushpilotmexico

Tightening And Loosing Chicago Screws

Just looking for some hints with Chicago screws. I know if I made them I would put a couple of little sharp dogs underneath the cap on the female side so you could get a little bite into the leather.

The cap on the female part is so smooth that when you try and tighten from the male slotted side it just spins and if you do succeed in getting it reasonably tight you can't loosen it because it spins again.

Any hints or suggestions?

Thx

Use a piece of rubber behind it to get some grip as you tighten it. There is also a pair of pliers available to grip them as you tighten, do not remember who sell it. Also, use loc-tite to keep them from un-threading.

Weaver makes a tool called the malan chicago screw tool which is a modified vice grip that does wonders. http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=27271

There is another similar tool out there called the JP equine tack tool. I actually purchased this tool first, but was not impressed at all. Its made of some type of plastic and feels like its going to break in you hands and bends quite a bit. I was never able to get the screws as tight as I wanted so I purchased the Weaver one and it was exactly what I needed.

I'm sure there are others out there, but I only have experience with the two I mentioned

Weaver makes a tool called the malan chicago screw tool which is a modified vice grip that does wonders. http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=27271

There is another similar tool out there called the JP equine tack tool. I actually purchased this tool first, but was not impressed at all. Its made of some type of plastic and feels like its going to break in you hands and bends quite a bit. I was never able to get the screws as tight as I wanted so I purchased the Weaver one and it was exactly what I needed.

I'm sure there are others out there, but I only have experience with the two I mentioned

We have both tools in our shop.. The one from Weaver wins hands down,we make a lot of belt,s and this tool is a life saver..

Thanks guys that Weaver tool looks like it should work, in fact I may be able to modify a set of vice grips myself.

OK, . . . I cheat, . . . I'm guilty, . . . I put my Chicago screws in by laying the female onto one of those red rubber erasers kids used to have when they did homework.

I push down hard as I am turning the screw, . . . like Electrathon said, . . . it'll hold em. Actually, I sometimes have a bear of a time getting them off when I've put them on this way, . . . but at least they don't fall off.

Tandy also sells a different version of this screw, . . . with an open back, . . . and teeth on the inside, . . . they can be pulled down really tight.

May God bless,

Dwight

A little blue loctite will keep them held. I've also used superglue in a pinch. As for getting them tight. anything that's a little tacky and lots of pressure like Dwight.

I've hot glued them to the bench and then peeled it off after..

Nail polish will work like loctite in a pinch..

A little blue loctite will keep them held. I've also used superglue in a pinch. As for getting them tight. anything that's a little tacky and lots of pressure like Dwight.

I JUST bought some blue thread locker today for this specific purpose. sandwiching 2 pieces of 8/9oz just misses the depth my chicago screws need. a little loctite could go a long way.

Has anyone tried contact cement on the barrel of the female part to give it a better hold on the leather? I thought of this the other day but haven't tried it yet.

Also thanks to this thread, I just thought that a generic deep well socket (maybe 3/8" drive x 1/2" deep well) could be used on top of a plain washer to push down on the male side of the leather with the eraser trick holding the female barrel side underneath. This would put a lot of extra pressure on the female barrel without having to push so hard on the screwdriver as you drive it through the hollow of the deep well socket. In other words, the socket acts as a pusher-handle-doohickey and the screwdriver doesn't slip and it might give you a little more squish on stuff that's too thick. Or just buy the tool! :surrender:

Edited by Wicked Welts

You can put a tiny star washer under the female side that get pulled into the leather. I have cut some tiny ridged into them with a dremel also. I have also had to cut a screwdriver slot into the back to remove old ones and replace them.

I like the star washer idea. What's the preferred material - brass, stainless?

I use whatever I can find. If you are in a humid environment, I would use brass or stainless. I used the nickel plated steel ones I believe. I rummaged through the hardware store and found them.

For the male side. I once worked for a tool company that made screwdrivers. While there I bought one of every size we made. I use a large old number 12 screwdriver. It fills most of the slot and makes cam out much less likely. I use a good number of the cheap aluminum ones in a wooden handle I make for a wholesale account. It has cut down on the problems associated with scarring or deforming the screwdriver slot. Ditto on the rubber underneath the female side. I do see a set of those pliers in my future though.

Be well

Like chrstn53 said, they make a plastic tool for holding pressure on the smooth side. I think it's actually made from Delryn, but could be wrong.

OTB carries them pretty cheaply. It's better than no tool at all and I do use blue Loctite.. Sometimes the red if I don't ever want them coming out...

Here's a picture. Not as rugged as the Weaver version for sure.

weaver tool works great

If you weld or know someone that can take a pair of vice grips and on one side weld a circle piece of metal and glue down a piece of rubber. On the other side weld a washer with a rubber o-ring. It allows you to tighten the chicago screw without I spinning. I would not use contact cement because you only want to stop them from coming loose by accident but you or your customer may need to take them off in the future. Just my 2 cents.

On 4/26/2015 at 11:37 AM, Itch said:

Thank you! Was going nuts trying to figure out how to tighten Chicago screws without cementing them in. Ordered a Malan from Weaver today.

I use flat nosed pliers to hold the one side or a piece of non slip cabinet liner.  I also Loctite to hold once set. 

1 hour ago, Smartee said:

I use flat nosed pliers to hold the one side or a piece of non slip cabinet liner.  I also Loctite to hold once set. 

I also use a non-slip plastic to hold the flat side. Actually a piece of the Tandy red plastic sheet for under gluing jobs. With enough down pressure on the screwdriver, it holds pretty well. Just don't let the driver slip and ruin the back of the piece! I also align the slots horizontally, and let the customer to watch the slot alignment from time to time. Sort of a witness mark.

Jeff

I generally put a rubber washer on teh screw ... acts a bit like a lock washer by keeping pressure on the screw.  For slings, I include instruction about using a drop er two of thread locker after installing, and check periodically.

Great ideas all around. I tried needle nose pliers and that was a fail. I didn't try my Tandy rubber glue mat. Didn't think about that. I have to be really careful because both sides of the screw are on finished sides.