wind power

Another Singer 42-5 Question Or Two

Hi Folks, After reading to previous Singer 42-5 thread , I remebered a local fellow had one for sale ....this machine has a good size flywheel/handwheel, it has the table, bobbin winder and a few extra bobbins, but before I leap I have a few questions:

How thick leather can I realistically sew with it ( hopefully 3/8th of an inch)?

Also Bob mentioned with a 135x 17 it was capable on handling 346 nylon.... I just want to make sure that was not a typo! :o)

Thanks,

Gavin

Edited by wind power

Hi Folks, After reading to previous Singer 42-5 thread , I remebered a local fellow had one for sale ....this machine has a good size flywheel/handwheel, it has the table, bobbin winder and a few extra bobbins, but before I leap I have a few questions:

snip

Also Bob mentioned with a 135x 17 it was capable on handling 346 nylon.... I just want to make sure that was not a typo! :o)

Thanks,

Gavin

If you use a #26 leather point needle, you may be able to form knots with #346 on top and #277 in the bobbin. Finding these needles is like finding hen's teeth.

If you use a #26 leather point needle, you may be able to form knots with #346 on top and #277 in the bobbin. Finding these needles is like finding hen's teeth.

Thanks Wiz!

That really explains it a bit clearer for me....sorry for the dumb questions, I'm learning as I go

So what really holds this machine back is the needle availability and spare parts....I'm willing to chance it on spare parts....either make them or scour the earth for them

So If I keep my thread size down to 277 it looks like the # 25 needles will work.

Thanks again!

Gavin

I use standard 135x16 and 135x17 needles in my 42-5 machine sizes 18-25, depending on the job at hand. . As far as I know, the machine has no special modifications to use these easily available needles. These needles also work in my 29-4.

Edited by Cascabel

Thanks Wiz!

That really explains it a bit clearer for me....sorry for the dumb questions, I'm learning as I go

So what really holds this machine back is the needle availability and spare parts....I'm willing to chance it on spare parts....either make them or scour the earth for them

So If I keep my thread size down to 277 it looks like the # 25 needles will work.

Thanks again!

Gavin

That would work a lot better. I used to have a pack of #26 needles, in type 135x16 and the machine had a hard time penetrating even 1/4 inch of leather. The pounding caused the needle bar to move in its mount, throwing the timing out. The needle got stuck in the leather from friction and the thread became ratted. It was not worth the trouble it caused. There are machines that are set up to sew with big needles and thicker thread and it is best to use them for #277 or larger thread jobs.

I use standard 135x16 and 135x17 needles in my 42-5 machine sizes 18-25, depending on the job at hand. . As far as I know, the machine has no special modifications to use these easily available needles. These needles also work in my 29-4.

I was referring to finding #26 leather point needles in series 135x16. I know that this needle type is very common. It is the #26 leather point that is not so easy to get in this series. Still, I'll bet that Ronnie, Gregg or Bob have some, in a dusty drawer, somewhere.

I was referring to finding #26 leather point needles in series 135x16. I know that this needle type is very common. It is the #26 leather point that is not so easy to get in this series. Still, I'll bet that Ronnie, Gregg or Bob have some, in a dusty drawer, somewhere.

Thanks Wiz ....one more dumb question....would it be safe to say I could sew 3/8 leather with277 thread without a

whole lot of machine tweaking?

Thanks Wiz ....one more dumb question....would it be safe to say I could sew 3/8 leather with277 thread without a

whole lot of machine tweaking?

You'll have to ask someone who actually has that machine and has tried it. I can tell you that I have a National walking foot machine that I modified to sew leather and it will not sew #277 thread into 3/8 inch without great difficulty and some skipped stitches. You would have to specifically have the machine adjusted and times for just that thread and needle size. The power required to punch through this much leather is beyond many motors, unless there is a speed reducer wheel between the motor and machine. Some members have modified the flywheels on theirr walking foot machines to use very large diameter pulleys sold a tractor supply stores. Those machines sew about 2 stitches per second, top speed and can punch through 3/8 inch+ with a #25 needle and #277 thread.

Frankly, you would be better off with this type of machine for sewing 3/8+ inch with #277 or 346 thread.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I have a 42-5 I have had for sometime. Pretty good machine...However its upper limit is about 5/16" of an inch. I use T-138 in it, but could use T-160 (Both bonded polyester)

I put the smallest pulley I could find on the motor so it runs about 300 SPM. 135 x 16 or x17 needles work fine. Its great for sewing things up to 5/16 of an inch. If you need to sew stuff 3/8 of inch or more consider doing it by hand or get a specialized machine. people tend to think they need more capability than they do. After getting a good deal used on this one, I see that for my purposes I don't need anything heavier. if I need to sew thick leather I do it with an awl and two needles.

SDG

Edited by sdgengineer