Sign in to follow this  
Leather Bum

difference between a genuine bone folder and a synthetic bone folder?

Ok, what I'd like to know is this: what is the difference between a genuine bone folder and a synthetic bone folder -- which one is better? The genuine one costs more, but if they both work the same, why not get the synthetic one?

Also, there are a number of rivets listed on page 17 of the Siegel of California End of Year Special flyer; but I don't know what the sizes are for any of them! As to the copper rivets, how does one determine what size setter to use on them?

And what about this snap? What do the size measurements indicate on this type of hardware?

Finally (for now), does anyone have experience with the C.S. Osborne Lace Cutter?

Thanks for info on any of this.

L'Bum

I've melted bits of one or two plastic folders so far in burnishing enthusiastically... Haven't managed to do that with my bone folder. Other than that, I find the bone more tactile in use; no idea why, but I prefer handling it to the plastic.

As far as cost goes, I bought the contents of a saddler's workshop a wee while back. I was surprised not to find a folder in the tools - until I realised that the broken tableknife in amongst them had a bone handle, so was probably used as an edge burnisher. Works nicely too.