punitor1

Help To Identify Old Singer Patch Machine

Singer Patch.jpg I just purchased a Singer Treadle Patch Machine that functions but needs a rebuild (which I am going to start on shortly). It is very similar to a 29-4 but has a few different parts (such as a wood tie rod for the treadle and a solid cast iron head arm verses a lightened cast iron arm). Anyway the serial is not very legible and I am hoping that someone can help identify the model for me?

Thanks

post-13777-126673094757_thumb.jpg

I just purchased a Singer Treadle Patch Machine that .... is very similar to a 29-4.....

.....the serial is not very legible and I am hoping that someone can help identify the model for me?

If it's a Singer, it's probably a 29UFA (Universal Feed Arm), one of the first of the Singer 29-series line of machines including the 29-4. Have you got a larger photo of it? Is the back side open like mine? [Photo Note: The handwheel has been partially removed on my machine.]

The serial number on mine is 12160702 and I date it to 1894. Yours will probably be all numbers without any letters too, if that helps you when trying to determine the serial number.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Machine191_03.jpg

post-7979-126675112959_thumb.jpg

If it's a Singer, it's probably a 29UFA (Universal Feed Arm), one of the first of the Singer 29-series line of machines including the 29-4. Have you got a larger photo of it? Is the back side open like mine? [Photo Note: The handwheel has been partially removed on my machine.]

The serial number on mine is 12160702 and I date it to 1894. Yours will probably be all numbers without any letters too, if that helps you when trying to determine the serial number.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Thank you CD, The back is open and looks just like your 29UFA. Knowing that the serial is all numbers should help ID. Do you know where I might find parts if needed? Are most of the components interchangeable with the 29-4?

Thanks again.

Do you know where I might find parts if needed? Are most of the components interchangeable with the 29-4?

I can help you with identifying the machine, but not so much with parts. These old machines can be a problem as far as parts are concerned. They were made before replaceable parts came into play much. These are the first ones made, and newer model parts usually don't fit downhill. This model doesn't really have that many parts on them that are designed to be interchangeable with anything, and even few "replaceable" parts from a similar model unless you replace the entire machine.

Bob Kovar in Toledo may be the best place to look for parts, but I've yet to have the occasion to deal with him. I think he's here on this list. I've heard nothing but good about him on several forums, and he may be your best bet. That reminds me that I need to get with him about a free motion quilting foot for my wife's Singer 96-40.....

There are probably others here that deal with parts for the Singer 29-series machines, so I'll let them tell you if they have the parts that you need. I have the machine that I showed you (I don't use it), plus a couple of 29K70 machines that I do use, but I don't stock any parts for this series of machines.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

I can help you with identifying the machine, but not so much with parts. These old machines can be a problem as far as parts are concerned. They were made before replaceable parts came into play much. These are the first ones made, and newer model parts usually don't fit downhill. This model doesn't really have that many parts on them that are designed to be interchangeable with anything, and even few "replaceable" parts from a similar model unless you replace the entire machine.

Bob Kovar in Toledo may be the best place to look for parts, but I've yet to have the occasion to deal with him. I think he's here on this list. I've heard nothing but good about him on several forums, and he may be your best bet. That reminds me that I need to get with him about a free motion quilting foot for my wife's Singer 96-40.....

There are probably others here that deal with parts for the Singer 29-series machines, so I'll let them tell you if they have the parts that you need. I have the machine that I showed you (I don't use it), plus a couple of 29K70 machines that I do use, but I don't stock any parts for this series of machines.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

CD - Thanks again for your help. I will talk to Bob Kovar when I get around to rebuilding and needing a few parts.

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html check your serial numbers here. I have the same machine I can sell ya the head for parts. I had sold it and was trashed in shipping. it seems they like dropped it from 20 ft n ran into it with a fork lift. but there might be salvageable parts if needed. my was considered a 29-1. 1890 model. good luck.

A friend of mine just called and asked about the Singer 29UFA, SN 12,426,277.   1894.  A lady wanted $900......  a tad pricey for sure.  What's it really worth?  A couple hundred?  It sat in a shed and rusted up, she freed it up.