Allan1972

Buying A Cobra 4-P Today!

Just called and waiting for Steve to call back…….

I know it comes with some tread but I am thinking I should add a few spools while I'm at it to save on shipping. I am doing mostly 3" wide guitar straps and have been hand sewing. I like the look of bulky tread as a feature, I think I want some 346 tread. I am thinking of using 277 for belts as they are narrower. I have been using 25 yard spools of waxed linen and braided cord from tandy so this is my size reference, would the 346 weight be similar?

Allan

Cobra 4-P ordered……...

I ended up getting the 346 tread in 4 colours and it ships with a 277 spool so I can try a lighter weight.

Will ship near the end of next week as I am in line to have my machine sent.

Steve has been to shows the past 6 weekends so probably a bit of a back log of orders:)

Wonder how long the shipping is to Red Deer, Ab. Canada, should have asked(guess I will send an email).

I am very excited to get this machine.

I'm sure it is not over kill for a hobbyist who has sold 9 items so far($1900) ;)

Allan

I was able to pay for my used leather sewing machine in 3 weeks. I am now saving up for Cobra 4 or cowboy 4500

I have a cobra 4, but I don't thik they are NEARLY as wonderful as you hear about around here. But then, lots of people here think that SLC has good leather and Iraq has weapons of mass destruction :)

Not makin money, really -- basically losing $5 on everything I touch :rofl:

I have a cobra 4, but I don't thik they are NEARLY as wonderful as you hear about around here. But then, lots of people here think that SLC has good leather and Iraq has weapons of mass destruction :)

Not makin money, really -- basically losing $5 on everything I touch :rofl:

All I am really looking for is something that will cut the wear on my body hand sewing 8' runs of stitching on 13-30 oz's of leather.

Not looking for anything special just some nice stitches, straight on the front and back. Takes me 5-6 hours to cut holes and stitch a guitar strap and I tend to try and do it in one sitting. Shoulders are not holding up well to pulling all that thread, to the point I have not been doing a whole lot of work.

Not really making me feel good about my purchase :no:

Allan

I was able to pay for my used leather sewing machine in 3 weeks. I am now saving up for Cobra 4 or cowboy 4500

I will give feedback on the machine once I get it and use it a bit. So far it has been great dealing with Steve, Marilia has always got my messages to Steve and he has gotten back to me.

Steve has been very accommodating with making things work for me, (gave him money and my first born) now I have a machine coming next week.

Allan

All I am really looking for is something that will cut the wear on my body hand sewing 8' runs of stitching on 13-30 oz's of leather.

Not looking for anything special just some nice stitches, straight on the front and back. Takes me 5-6 hours to cut holes and stitch a guitar strap and I tend to try and do it in one sitting. Shoulders are not holding up well to pulling all that thread, to the point I have not been doing a whole lot of work.

Not really making me feel good about my purchase :no:

Allan

I went from hand stitching guitars straps to stitching with my consew. Night and Day difference on the wear and tear on my hands. Plus, what took me 5-6 hours to do by hand changed to 15 minutes. 10 minutes of neurotic testing to make sure the stitches are right, and 5 minutes of actual guitar strap stitching.

You will not regret dealing with Steve and his staff. Any question or need will get a response. The machine will make your life easier. Once you get the hang of it, you will be surprised at how quickly long projects get finished. Be sure to check out the Al Bane videos on YouTube, especially the threading, presser foot tension adjustments and oiling sections. Also consult Steve about the correct needles and thread combinations for your projects. He has seen it all.

Above all ENJOY and practice, practice, practice!

jr

I went from hand stitching guitars straps to stitching with my consew. Night and Day difference on the wear and tear on my hands. Plus, what took me 5-6 hours to do by hand changed to 15 minutes. 10 minutes of neurotic testing to make sure the stitches are right, and 5 minutes of actual guitar strap stitching.

this is what I am hoping for.

Allan

You will not regret dealing with Steve and his staff. Any question or need will get a response. The machine will make your life easier. Once you get the hang of it, you will be surprised at how quickly long projects get finished. Be sure to check out the Al Bane videos on YouTube, especially the threading, presser foot tension adjustments and oiling sections. Also consult Steve about the correct needles and thread combinations for your projects. He has seen it all.

Above all ENJOY and practice, practice, practice!

jr

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I have been watching a lot of videos and reading about the machine. I did watch Al's video which will come in handy I'm sure.

Allan

Machine is in Canada, should be here Tuesday.

I had to set up a customs broker to get it cleared through customs, that was interesting.

Not hard but a new experience, nice lady helped me out.

Cost

-$120CND for brokerage fees(I could have gotten this for cheaper if I shopped around but I liked the lady who was helping me)

-GST $150CND

-no PST in Alberta

-no duty

All in this was less money than picking up a Mach3 machine which is only 20 minutes from my house. I also have way more accessories with the cobra4-P, with the extras I bet I saved atleast a $1000. I wanted to buy local but at the end of the day I felt like I was treated better by Steve.

Allan

It may turn out to be true that you were treated better by Steve. At this point, what do you feel he has done for you? I mean, since you haven't got the machine yet.

JLS ,I think he will be treated better because of the ATTITUDE of the local guy. I tried to deal with him more then once and was treated like crap. And the price is way better too. That's why I bought from Bob in Ohio.

JLS ,I think he will be treated better because of the ATTITUDE of the local guy. I tried to deal with him more then once and was treated like crap. And the price is way better too. That's why I bought from Bob in Ohio.

Oh, yeah, I get it. Which machine you buy?

I bought CB 4500. Time it was sitting in my house with about every foot needle plate and optional attachment possible it still cost me about HALF of just a machine from him. That includes shipping, tax,customs broker everything. So yes I think he did right.

It may turn out to be true that you were treated better by Steve. At this point, what do you feel he has done for you? I mean, since you haven't got the machine yet.

I just called him wondering what I would be looking at all in to get it to Canada as my local machine company did not have the servo motor option or the extras I wanted at a competitive price. Steve came up with an option for me without prompting that I could not turn down and with no pressure to buy now. I wanted a machine and he found a way for me to get it. I called back two days later when I was ready and made the deal. At the end of the day I felt like I was doing business with a close friend.

My conversation was no different than what I had with my local dealer, just Steve made it happen.

I did email my local dealer about any Black Friday specials after my initial phone call, response "one price, I am not Walmart".

I have to admit my wife read this before me and said you are not buying off this guy(she thought it was one of the big USA companies). She is adamant about buying local and was bewildered by the response. I know it was probably sent in a joking way but you can not read tone in an email, it was enough to make me call Steve

I am not trying to make my local guy look bad, it is just what happened. I can see a time in the future that I may need to have it serviced by him, by things I have heard about him he is a good guy.

JLS if you want details of the good experience PM me and I will give you more detail.

Edited by Allan1972

I bought CB 4500. Time it was sitting in my house with about every foot needle plate and optional attachment possible it still cost me about HALF of just a machine from him. That includes shipping, tax,customs broker everything. So yes I think he did right.

Mine cost wise was about the same, I just got more for the money

-flat bed attachment

-servo motor

-stitch guide

-stirrup plate

-holster plate

-slot plate

-a bunch of extra feet

-extra light

-20 more needles

this is what comes to mind, I may be missing some.

Waiting for the truck to drop off the machine in the next couple hours.

While waiting I have bought a breaker for my fuse box and wired 6 plugs in my sewing machine area, that helped pass some time. Was a bit of a job as I had to pull poly off the wall and remove insolation, it is an unfinished basement so no drywall. I am putting it in an 8x8 nook so 2 plugs per wall(12 outlets total). I will be able to move things where ever I want them without having to run extension cords. This will be a nice upgrade from running a cord across the basement, it is nice to be handy…...

Allan

Still waiting for the truck :(

Here is an update on the rest of my day getting my machine……...

Just a small delivery truck, driver figured it was a good idea to just lift the palette off the back of the truck by hand(320lbs) :unsure:

IMG_2389.jpg

We managed to lift it off and drag it up the icey driveway, my back did not like the lifting off the semi part.

IMG_2391.jpg

Unpacked and setup…...

IMG_2397.jpg

My sewing area with newly added plug outlets X6, 2 per wall so able to move things around without worrying where the power is. That spot under the window looks like the perfect spot for a Cobra burnisher.

IMG_2407.jpg

Allan

Looking forward to your report.

Do you have any experience machine sewing leather? I'm asking because I'm interested in getting one and have very little experience on a machine with leather.

Looking for the "new to a Machince" experience.

Do you have any experience machine sewing leather? I'm asking because I'm interested in getting one and have very little experience on a machine with leather.

You get in the Fort Dodge area, gimme a holler -- you can see and test mine -- sort of a try before you buy :)

I have never used a leather sewing machine before, I am good with power tools and that is all this is. I have used an industrial sewing machine before as I run a menswear store and have a tailor with tailor shop in the back(these machines are for suits). I used to eat lunch watching the tailors work so I am used to being around sewing machines. I decided my daughter and I were going to be Harry potter and Hermoinie for Halloween 6 or 7 years ago so I made us robes(first and only sewing projects I have done)…...

DSCN0949.jpg

So far the machine has been easy to use, we will see once something goes wrong.

Allan

Edited by Allan1972