Peterk

First Glock 26/27/33 holster

Here is what I just finished. My first Glock 26/27/33 holster:

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Made to use with 1.25" dress belts... :)

Edited by Peterk

Hey I think it looks great. I'm also finishing up my first G27 holster for a customer, and man are they small!

Do you have a shot of it being worn? It looks nice.

no I didn't take a shot of it being worn, but will probably do so tonight. Thanks.

I just got my order from TF ordered Sun on my doorste here in Maryland today (Wed) Great service hope I like the products...they look super on that Holster,I ordered the cordovan,army tan,brown,chocolate and english tan.Sweet work and Holsters always interest me!

That was made with Tandy stock... They were having a big sale, I didn't have enough money, I didn't have time to wait for leather to ship to me, etc. all contributed to this Tandy leather purchase. :)

Only way to buy Tandy leather is to go into the store and hand-pick the leather. They don't have good stock to begin with, not compared to W&C and Hermann, but once in a while you find out that is bearable. It'll be hard to go back to Tandy after I try the likes of W&C...

I just got my order from TF ordered Sun on my doorste here in Maryland today (Wed) Great service hope I like the products...they look super on that Holster,I ordered the cordovan,army tan,brown,chocolate and english tan.Sweet work and Holsters always interest me!

I started with Eco-Flo and Angelus was night and day. It soaks through the leather a good 1/16" so I don't have to worry about dye coming off as before. Spraying with airbrush makes quick work of apply the dye. I've also tried wool dauber but you would have to lay on a pretty heavy coat in order to get rid of possible streaks. I just discovered a new trick to even out the Angelus spirit dye, and that is to load a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, and lightly go over the dyed holster with it. While it will pick up some dye, it will mostly just work the dye around and even them out and works beautifully.

Good luck.

Well done - looks like it rides at just the right height.

I tried wearing it around a bit and find it comfortable even sitting down, so glad this design worked. :)

I started with Eco-Flo and Angelus was night and day. It soaks through the leather a good 1/16" so I don't have to worry about dye coming off as before. Spraying with airbrush makes quick work of apply the dye.

Peter,

When spraying the Angelus dyes do you find that you are getting good penetration into the leather so as to avoid potential scratching/rubbing through the dye? I've been spraying Feibings spirit dyes and find that when sprayed I do not get great depth penetrationg. I just had some Angelus samples show up today and I'm really looking forward to giving them a shot. Also, do you cut they dye or do you shoot it at full strength?

Peter,

When spraying the Angelus dyes do you find that you are getting good penetration into the leather so as to avoid potential scratching/rubbing through the dye? I've been spraying Feibings spirit dyes and find that when sprayed I do not get great depth penetrationg. I just had some Angelus samples show up today and I'm really looking forward to giving them a shot. Also, do you cut they dye or do you shoot it at full strength?

Shooting at full strength straight from bottle, I will need about two coats to get even coverage, because they get absorbed fast into the leather. The full deep color won't show up until the second, or sometimes even third coat (for bleached leather). Because Angelus penetrates into the leather, I no longer have the problem I had with Eco-Flo where I can easily scratch the dye off even after curing overnight or days after.

Use a wool dauber loaded with Angelus, dye a sample piece of leather and look at the cross sections. This is what I did the first time I got some Angelus... You can see how much the dye soaks through, and it increases with every application. Like I said before, I get a good 1/16" penetration and that is plenty good enough for me. :)

Wow, that sounds really impressive and exactly what I'm looking for. I can't wait to try it out on a couple test pieces. Thanks for the information.

Forgot to mention, prior to spraying or apply any dye, I would load a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and wipe down the holster with it, then apply dye after it has dried (it dries very quickly). The rubbing alcohol helps to get rid of the oil from your hands and such so you won't have uneven spots, and "opens the pores" of the leather so the dye can be absorbed faster. Don't know if it actually does open the pores on the leather but I figured since it works on human skin (leather), it probably works about the same for animal skin/leather. :)

Good luck.

Peter, thanks a bunch for all of the information. I played around with the new dyes for about half an hour last night with a dauber and I'll try to play with the airbrush this weekend. I only received three colors (Cordovan, Honey, & Mahogany), so I think I'm gonna have to get some more coming to get just what I want. A couple more questions quick questions... How long do you let your first coat dry before applying the second coat? Also, have you seen any issues with the leather softening up fter the application of the shoe wax, or does the holster continue to hold it's shape well?

1) The first airbrushed coat dries in less than a minute, if that long. By the time I finish spraying the back of the holster I can go back to the front to spray the subsequent coats. Weather/moisture may have something to do with that (I live in California) but even on humid days (we're talking maybe 10% humidity) it dries quickly. Never had it run on me either. This stuff is awesome! :)

2) Have not had a holster go limp on me with the application of wax. I usually only apply two coats, and use a piece of wool (synthetic or real) to polish it between the time I finish and before a customer picks it up. I used to apply Neatsfoot Oil to my holsters as well and have heard horror stories about holsters going limp with too much oil... Those guys must have soaked their holsters in oil overnight for that to happen because I have not had that happen to me. Your holster will hold if you apply thin coats of wax; you don't need much.

I've noticed the same thing here in the Utah dessert about the dye drying really fast. That's good to hear about the wax finish. I should be finishing up a holster in the next couple of days and I think I'll try the new Angelus dyes and wax or acryllic topcoat on it. Like you, I have been puting a light coat of neatsfoot oil on my holsters haven't experienced any limp holster issues either.

Thanks again for all the information.

Be sure to post here your accomplishments! Would love to see and hear how the Angelus did for you.