TracyMoss

Guitar Cover

This is the first time I have done anything like this, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Jerry__s_Guitar.JPG

Jerry__s_Guitar_2.JPG

post-5335-1201916365_thumb.jpg

post-5335-1201916376_thumb.jpg

You did a GREAT job! Did you cover the whole thing, or just the top?

I've seen this done by many, including the King himself. I've always wondered how it affected the tone. Your brother has a decent guitar there...what did it do to the sound?

What a fabolous project! I wanta do that! Does the leather wrap all the way around the guitar, or is it just on the front?

I'm wondering . . . A violin is made with fir on the face and maple on the sides and back to create a certain sound. I don't know if a guitar is made in a similar fashion. When you add leather to an acoustic guitar like that, does it change the sound of it?

Kathy

I haven't heard any complaints, but I'll have to ask specifics from my brother. As for me, no time for guitar lessons.

The covering is just on the top. I had to strip the guitar down and do some light sanding before applying the Master's A.P.. The stitch that you see is just for looks.

Hey Tracy, I see you're in Loveland. Care to come to a Columbine Leather Guild meeting? If you brought your guitar you'd get lots of attention.

Kathy

tracy it turned out better than good. that is very classic.

there will be some sound difference in the acoutics of

the before and after the covering of an acoustic guitar.

But covering the body of an electric guitar there is no change of the sound.

I have always liked the looks of Waylon Jennings guitar.....

Yeah, I like the look of this too. I want to do my Uke like this but worry about the sound also. Maybe I'll try it anyway to have a show off piece. lol

I have a book about building acoustics and there is a section about sound vibration and such, apparently science has not quite figured out how guitars make thier sound as compared to a violin which has had years of study. I would imagine that leather would muffle the sound somewhat but most have piezo pickups nowadays and are amplified. It is very nice work and I may have to do the same to mine as the ding on the lower bout has now turned into a crack fron the bottom to the pickgaurd. I just don't have the 50 per inch to get it fixed anymore which is a shame I cringe everytime I look at it. Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 1600$ wall hanging now :censored2:

Very nice work indeed! As for tone, you bet it will effect the tone, Lay your arm along the top of a accoustic and strum compared to strumming freely, and thats just your arm. YOU as a player may not hear it as readily but someone with sitting infront of you will.

I also beleive binding electrics effects tone as well, All string insturments are a resonating intrument, even electrics. On electrics i beleive it makes the tone slighly darker, not nessicaricly a bad thing. Good example of this resonation in electrics is a telecaster (hairdtailed bridge) and a stratocaster floating bridge. Same woods, same pickups(single coils for instance) , 2 totaly different sounds, one twangs and one quacks. Even the bridge material, the saddle material,(brass,stainless steel,carbon steel , 6 saddle bridges (modern)or 3 saddle bridge (vintage) makes a differnce in tone. Resonation is vibrating sound,muffle the material its vibrating through and in,youll muffle the tone. Kinda like a wind chime,touch your finger lightly to it and youll deaden it a little, hold it with your fingers and your completely deaden it.

Edited by Romey

Well, thanks for the input. My brother is no troubadour or nothing, but maybe it'll sound good enough.

Well, I'm sorry i asked...We got away from the leatherwork discussion. The fact is you did a great job. I especially liked the stitching around the Bridge, the way you fit the initials into the edge of the pattern, and the use of the blank space. The tooling is great, and the colors already looks like it's been around for a long time. Thanx for sharing

Yes I agree it is very nice leatherwork

thanks guys, sorry i'm a greenhorn in the music industry. I admittedly know nothing except ol time church hymns, and not the sheet music to go with them.

thanks guys, sorry i'm a greenhorn in the music industry. I admittedly know nothing except ol time church hymns, and not the sheet music to go with them.

Tracy,

I say no apologies. You have done something that many of us have only thought of. As a leather piece it is awesome. And this is LW.net. I'm still diggin on your work. :red_bandana:

Tracy,

I say no apologies. You have done something that many of us have only thought of. As a leather piece it is awesome. And this is LW.net. I'm still diggin on your work. :red_bandana:

thanks. appreciate the compliments.

Very nice work.

Thanks Guys, If anyone does want to attempt it and want's to know what little knowledge I have learned just PM me. It turned out so nice I didn't want to give it back to him, but all it would do is sit in the corner of my Living Room. Good conversational piece though. Oh well, too bad family doesn't pay!

This is amazing, I'm just barely starting to get into Leatherworking and a project like this is precisely what my goal is. I guess since I have no real tools yet or anything, I'll stop by the local Tandy and get some advice on where to start, but you might be getting some PM's from me about specifics in regards to this project in the future.

Thanks for the inspiration!