splitrail

Good Morning From Hill Country Texas

Glad to finally be a part of my first forum. I was having all kinds of trouble with Resolene, and found the answers to my troubles right here at leatherworker.net. THANK YOU to everyone who takes the time to help people like me try to build skills.

I am an expat living now in the land of cowboys, leather and sunshine, and I am loving it.

I graduated from Fashion Design, (many many) years ago, so the sewing and pattern making comes easy for me, but the edging and finishing is all new.

Thanks in advance for all the information and advice you are about to give me!

Julie.

post-61336-0-08574700-1428243725_thumb.j

post-61336-0-16039000-1428243809_thumb.j

post-61336-0-22298300-1428243865_thumb.j

post-61336-0-22063300-1428244512_thumb.j

Welcome! Your stuff looks great. I assume those are wooden ends in the little black roll bag??

Yeah, I cut out wooden ovals then glued on a stainless thin sheet of metal, trimmed, the steel, sanded them with a scotchbrite pad, then clear coated them, I was amazed how close it came to looking like a brushed aluminum. I was thinking mirror might have been cool, but the fingerprints would have drove me crazy.

Thanks for the compliment.

Where did you find stainless that thin, and how did you cut it? I hate working with stainless steel as it is so darned hard. I have seen sheets of thin aluminum, but the black bleed off is a bummer, and I have not had much success with coating. I too use wooden ends in some of my rolls,but usually I stain and lacquer them, using the "wood look" to compliment the color of leather I am using. Love your stuff......hope to see more. Eccho

Nice work......And, greetings from the bottom of your hill. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum glad to have you join us. I am across SA from you If I can help give me a call

www.mecopocketholsters.com

Well Thank you very much.

Just checked out your site, the holsers are excellent. I just may need to order one of those.

Will I see you at Tandy ever? Or are you getting your leather on a bigger scale?

I just recently molder some leather over a Colt 45. Just capturing a 1/2" profile. Thinking of making a patch from it and putting in on the back of a biker vest. I can't believe how much detail can come through on the leather.

Julie

Eccho,

The stainless is from a company called K and S engineering. .013" I also bought copper, but haven't played with that yet. I bought it at a hobby shop. I think it was designed for punch art??

I just cut it with Airplane grade snips, glued it to my oval block and then after gluing I belt sanded it smooth to the edge of the block. I used a foam brush to layer on some satin lacquer, and NO bubbles. Yeah! haha

I have two nice ovals left in stained wood, but I can't seem to find a leather dye to compliment yet. BUT I WILl.

Hey I just checked out your site, NICE STUFF. I was born in Stratford ON. Where are you from? I saw Lucan on your site.

Welcome to the forum from the UK, the combined experience and knowledge from the members here is second to none! You have some nicely made items there. Pattern making is something I have yet to get to grips with.

Well Thank you very much.

Just checked out your site, the holsers are excellent. I just may need to order one of those.

Will I see you at Tandy ever? Or are you getting your leather on a bigger scale?

I just recently molder some leather over a Colt 45. Just capturing a 1/2" profile. Thinking of making a patch from it and putting in on the back of a biker vest. I can't believe how much detail can come through on the leather.

Julie

Thank you I dont get to Tandy's much I usually hang around here take care