miso

Ogranic Leather

Hey

does anyone maby know where i could buy organic leather that comes from humane animal husbandry or where you can tracke the leather back to its origin. Or maby any smaller veg tannerys that would tan only a few catle skins but i would prefer if i could buy it right away

Thx

Miso

There are no small veg tanneries in the US anymore. There are two larger tanneries. Hides are mostly brokered from smaller slaughter plants and the large plants may deal with tanneries themselves or go through brokers at times. A good percentage of North American hides are exported for tanning. Traceback would be all but impossible with the current system. The paperwork trail needed for tracing a byproduct is not economically feasible given the current demand for this type of leather and the way the hides are handled.

My brother deer hunts and his buddy brain-tans the deerskins and I have a hide or two....but that is a long process and usually only done by people into Pow-wows and Rendezvous events. Good luck!

Look up vegan leather in the forums, there have been a couple of threads on this recently. IIRC Springfield Leather was offering such. The hides were from bovines that met their maker in a natural way.