Sign in to follow this  
salvi

Oil

I've recently bought a DVD from Chan Geer called 'Sheridan Style Carving'. After watching it I got very impressed on the perfection and the ease with wich he works the leather. He explains every aspect of tooling with extreme detail so I must strongly recommend this DVD to anyone but it is a must have for any beginer.

At the end of the video where the Finish is explained, Mr. Geer takes a plastic bottle containing a kind of oil, then applies it on the tooled face and recomends to left it dry overnight. I think the only detail he forgot to mention is the oil type and the purpose or effect of the oil on the leather so, can someone explain what kind of oil you use normaly as well as what is the purpose of applying this kind of product before the Antique Finish then the Lacker? Is it suitable to use sweet almond oil for general purposes?

Thank you

Edited by salvi

Probably Neatsfoot oil to condition the leather. I usually do that after staining to replace the oils lost from the tooling process and the spirit based dyes I use.

I've recently bought a DVD from Chan Geer called 'Sheridan Style Carving'. After watching it I got very impressed on the perfection and the ease with wich he works the leather. He explains every aspect of tooling with extreme detail so I must strongly recommend this DVD to anyone but it is a must have for any beginer.

At the end of the video where the Finish is explained, Mr. Geer takes a plastic bottle containing a kind of oil, then applies it on the tooled face and recomends to left it dry overnight. I think the only detail he forgot to mention is the oil type and the purpose or effect of the oil on the leather so, can someone explain what kind of oil you use normaly as well as what is the purpose of applying this kind of product before the Antique Finish then the Lacker? Is it suitable to use sweet almond oil for general purposes?

Thank you

Hi and welcome! The oil that Chan used is a saddle oil from a company called BEE NATURAL. Oil is applied after tooliing and drying to put back the natural oil that the leather lost both in the tanning process and casing.

It's a good product. I've used it a lot. I like it because it doesn't color the leather whereas neatsfoot or olive oil will. I wouldn't use almond oil for many reasons. Just don't. I don't recommend olive oil either. Oil your leather with a product made from the leather/cow/etc.

After drying and before finishing, oil lightly. Piece of wool scrap, tip the oil to wet and scrape the wool across the lid. Apply in circular motion. Just a nice even coat. Don't slop it on. Let it soak in overnight if needed. TAKE YOUR TIME working with leather. Apply to both sides. The underside(flesh side) is actually the more important side to oil, but the top(grain) side needs some but restoring the "color" to the leather is the best reason.

Hope this helps- POST YOUR WORK!!!

pete

olive oil is very good to use for general puposes. It is easier to apply than neatsfoot and far more forgiving. If the color is an issue than you can experiment with the other products available to suit your needs. The purpose of oil is to replace the tannin oils that are removed when you wet the leather to tool/work it. as you may already know, leather can be shaped, carved, stamped ect. before it is oiled but afterwords the oil is used to protect the leather and prevent it from drying out and cracking over time. After it is oiled you can no longer tool it. Neatsfoot is a traditional oil but not a very good oil. It is made from the boiled down hooves and horns ect. of the animal and while it sounds like using the oil that came from the animal would be a good thing, you have to remember that it is no longer alive and the oils than were in it before now contribute to decomposition. Neatsfoot will turn rancid in the sun and it will draw flies and other vermin to your leather. This is not simply an opinion it is fact. I have tested this personally and have found that a packrat will jump over a bridle oiled with olive oil to chew on one oiled with neatsfoot. olive oil will penatrate deeper and more evenly than neatsfoot and requires fewer applications to achieve the same results. These are just statements that reflect my own experience and preferences and as you asked I thought you would benefit from another point of view. I encourage you to do your own research and do not rely solely on opinion or tradition but look for the products that produce the best results for you in your situation. I hope this has been of some help.

Just to second what Pete says, Bee's Natural Saddle Oil is great stuff. Does not darken leather as Neatsfoot, nor does it give strange colors like olive oil. I used Neatsfoot for a long time, but never liked the way it darkened the leather, and the one time I tried extra virgin olive oil, I ended up with a strange coloration of the leather. Alot of people use olive oil and it may just have the particular brand I tried. I am staying with the Bee's.

Terry