walter roth

Tools Of A Swiss Sattler

hello to USA

I am a saddler from Switzerland. i will start to look like the Swiss tools here with us this way.

I speak little English, anyway, I hope you have fun at the pictures.

I am a traditional saddlery and learned the profession in a saddlery.

I restore carriages, cars before 1914 and put her harness and collars for about 15 varieties of Harnesses.

These tools are a Part of my Workshop and I collect them for 30 years.

I do use them, they are not just there to watch.

The Swiss Sattler have the tools from Germany always rather like that of Blanchard and Dixon, as the German toolmakers have always worked more accurately and were cheaper.

Unfortunately, one of the last two toolmakers Died 4 years ago, and now there is only a German tool makers of Saddlery Tools manufactures.

With him, I will once again be making a set of punch, very fine German quality as it used to 70 years ago.

Blanchard had 30 before partent in his workshop a tool cupboard in which the tools of the World Exhibition of 1896 in Paris. These tools are now in the possession of the company Hermes Paris. quality.

Blanchard had a cupboard in his workshop, in which were the tools of the World Exhibition of 1896, these tools are now in possession of the company Hermes in Paris.

post-43725-0-79666600-1375122791_thumb.j

post-43725-0-65036600-1375122822_thumb.j

post-43725-0-07374400-1375122841_thumb.j

post-43725-0-58932600-1375122852_thumb.j

post-43725-0-50976800-1375122887_thumb.j

post-43725-0-45565300-1375122900_thumb.j

post-43725-0-58110800-1375122919_thumb.j

post-43725-0-52587200-1375122947_thumb.j

post-43725-0-72602200-1375122966_thumb.j

post-43725-0-32296700-1375122983_thumb.j

post-43725-0-84420400-1375122995_thumb.j

post-43725-0-24296200-1375123012_thumb.j

thanks for sharing this, some awesome Euro tools on show :thumbsup:

can you post some of your work also ?

Hello Walter,

Very nice collection,I collect and use French leather tool too.Those two small strap cutters/plough gauges what are they called? I have never seen them before. Who made them?

What is the name of the German tool makers you use, the one who still a life do he make and sell tools anymore? I do not have many German leather tools, they are hard to find (for non Germans) I have a Griffe à Molette, pricking wheel carriage of French pattern. Its made by Melzer & Feller Germany. A couple of hammers, one with the stamp "Germany 2". An other Hammer with the same Horse as on your big plough gauge, Its German or French, do you know the maker name of this tool (your tool). The last German tool I have is the new plough gauge from M. Pfaffrath OHG, stamped with the number "9 2006" and "Germany" with a small mark that contains a "S" and a "L" melted together on top of each other (top one in picture, the other is a Mayer Flamery, Paris). Is this the same tool maker you are talking about, who is the last one alive in Germany? Or is there an other one still around. Please post his name here.

In advance thanks.

Tor

post-10237-0-09701400-1375133108_thumb.j

post-10237-0-27308900-1375133188_thumb.j

The tool brand with the Horse is the "Feller and Melzer in Thüringen Kleinschmalkhalden". The manufacturer of these Tools is referred to as .... "Rossler" difficult to translate.

A "Pferd" or "Ross" is in German Langwhich a Horse, "Rossler" is a horse man.

They are the best Tools out there.

The "Rossler" has all the tools of Blanchard copied, but they made finer and cheaper.

The Plough Gouge of saddlers paffrath not Saddler used here, which are made just too bad.

The last toolmaker "Emil Zwanzig "from Offenbach.

MKO GmbH

Wolfgang Zwanzig

Betinastrasse 69

D - 63067 Offenbach am Main

Tel. 069 8008140

Fax. 069 8008148

E-Mail : MKOmaschinen@aol.com

He makes all the spare Parts for the Mueller and Kurt Splitter, etc, but has previously made only Saddlery-Tools.

Unfortunately, he has no useful website, and if he can speak English, I do not know.

He makes punches, Plough Gouges, etc................

I will go in 2 Months and the whole clarify exactly once. Especially if he's really willing to manufacture when you order the fine old quality.

The two Plough Gouges like pliers look at the picture of 13, one of brass and the other of steel, these tools were used to cut and strappy leather for the Bride.

Braided horse reins, or un incisions to make the front and rear are not cut.

These tools are found almost exclusively by German manufacturers.

They are very practical, but only if they cut very well.

Hey Macca

Hi Macca

I will adjust my work pictures.

Unfortunately, I have almost all taken with a conventional camera, so I can not simply set here.

I have only worked up.

But if you have some patience, I'll do it.

The pictures of a car, a Renault from 1911 with an installation by the Swiss company Surer I have digitally.

Of this I can adjust what ends here in next few days.

The tool brand with the Horse is the "Feller and Melzer in Thüringen Kleinschmalkhalden". The manufacturer of these Tools is referred to as .... "Rossler" difficult to translate.

A "Pferd" or "Ross" is in German Langwhich a Horse, "Rossler" is a horse man.

They are the best Tools out there.

The "Rossler" has all the tools of Blanchard copied, but they made finer and cheaper.

The Plough Gouge of saddler's paffrath not Saddler used here, which are made just too bad.

The last toolmaker "Emil Zwanzig "from Offenbach.

MKO GmbH

Wolfgang Zwanzig

Betinastrasse 69

D - 63067 Offenbach am Main

Tel. 069 8008140

Fax. 069 8008148

E-Mail : MKOmaschinen@aol.com

He makes all the spare Parts for the Mueller and Kurt Splitter, etc, but has previously made only Saddlery-Tools.

Unfortunately, he has no useful website, and if he can speak English, I do not know.

He makes punches, Plough Gouges, etc................

I will go in 2 Months and the whole clarify exactly once. Especially if he's really willing to manufacture when you order the fine old quality.

The two Plough Gouges like pliers look at the picture of 13, one of brass and the other of steel, these tools were used to cut and strappy leather for the Bride.

Braided horse reins, or un incisions to make the front and rear are not cut.

These tools are found almost exclusively by German manufacturers.

They are very practical, but only if they cut very well.

Thank you very much Walter for your very informative answer. Being Norwegian I understand a bit German of course. Its been a pain not knowing the German tool makers and their maker stamps. I am a collector and user of German Industrial sewing machines (who are the best there is), I would of course prefer German quality in leather tool too. However, for some reason those makers are not known outside Germany. I agree Melzer & Feller (Rossler) has a superior quality and finish over Blanchard. I could not find much information about him on the web; only that he made Parade daggers for the SS before WW2. I guess thats was something all good German tool makers did. I guess its more info out there, its hard for me to write technical German search words. ( I understand them, but write them correctly is an other story)

About the Pfaffrath Plough; I agree thats a quality you normally would not find in Germany ( not that bad but too expensive for the quality). I got it cheap second hand in Norway, and bought it out of curiosity.

Too bad the last maker (Wolfgang Zwanzig) has no web site, If you going to visit him and try persuade him in to make more tool; it might help to have a bigger order on hand. I could order something from him too, like a plough gauge, German mini plough or punches. Depended of what he is willing to continue to make, he might be a old man. Please let me know if its any extra trouble for you, I can send you my Email in a PM. I do not know what you are looking to buy from him, anything of the old quality would be perfect.

Thank you

Tor

Welcome Walter! I am glad to see you here on this group and sharing your pictures. I have sure enjoyed them.

-Bruce

Thank you Bruce

Let's see if I'll be here a lot of use .... (((-: I just found you on the weekend of the Louis Hombrechtikon know also.

http://www.leder-louis.ch/

I've known him for 30 years.

2 nice tools you sold him.

There is also a swiss Manufacturer makes the Edger.

It is the very famous company "Pfeiltools" in Langenthal.

They are very well known for its wood carving Accessories Welding.

They make Edger they are very easy to perform, but they need some exercise to regrind them.

They have a round bottom so that they are easy to carry over the edge, but with a straight blade. Really very fine quality.

3 sizes to about 35 dollars a piece.

But they are not in the catalog, just ask! ....!

The website is in English. http://www.pfeiltools.com/en/distributors.html

F. Zulauf Messerschmiede

und Werkzeugfabrikations AG

Dennliweg 29

CH-4900 Langenthal

Phone +41 (0)62 922 45 65

Fax +41 (0)62 922 01 14

www.pfeiltools.com

info@pfeiltools.com

MKO GmbH in Germany.The Wolfgang Zwanzig of the Company MKO is not as old, but it never asked.

I will certainly Reports, with Photos when I was with him.

This Manufacturer has previously worked for Tool -Traders, the Craftsmen knew this Company does not, because the dealer kept the secret Addresses.

That is the reason why almost no one knows it Today.

Unfortunately, he did not have a Website, a great pity.

I'll talk to him.

Greetings

Walter

Edited by walter roth

Thank you Bruce

Let's see if I'll be here a lot of use .... (((-: I just found you on the weekend of the Louis Hombrechtikon know also.

http://www.leder-louis.ch/

I've known him for 30 years.

2 nice tools you sold him.

There is also a swiss Manufacturer makes the Edger.

It is the very famous company "Pfeiltools" in Langenthal.

They are very well known for its wood carving Accessories Welding.

They make Edger they are very easy to perform, but they need some exercise to regrind them.

They have a round bottom so that they are easy to carry over the edge, but with a straight blade. Really very fine quality.

3 sizes to about 35 dollars a piece.

But they are not in the catalog, just ask! ....!

The website is in English. http://www.pfeiltool...stributors.html

F. Zulauf Messerschmiede

und Werkzeugfabrikations AG

Dennliweg 29

CH-4900 Langenthal

Phone +41 (0)62 922 45 65

Fax +41 (0)62 922 01 14

www.pfeiltools.com

info@pfeiltools.com

MKO GmbH in Germany.The Wolfgang Zwanzig of the Company MKO is not as old, but it never asked.

I will certainly Reports, with Photos when I was with him.

This Manufacturer has previously worked for Tool -Traders, the Craftsmen knew this Company does not, because the dealer kept the secret Addresses.

That is the reason why almost no one knows it Today.

Unfortunately, he did not have a Website, a great pity.

I'll talk to him.

Greetings

Walter

Thank you Walter,

I keep an sharp eye on this thread.

Good luck

Tor

Tor

Thank you Walter,

I keep an sharp eye on this thread.

Good luck

Tor

Tor

Hello Walter & Tor & all you other tool freaks !

I was in Paris about 30 years ago to visit the shop of Blanchard & I saw those tools made for the Paris exhibition in a glass case . I couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing those tools . All the knife blades were polished like mirrors and the metal ferrules were engraved silver . Alas the tools made now by Blanchard are nothing like the the ones of earlier times .

I have a good collection myself of all those old round knives with ebony handles & some you don't have I'll try to get the courage to post some pics . Walter , I see you are not too far from Geneva . I have to install some beds I covered with leather in a hotel there & wondered if I could pass by your place in St . Gallen to say hello & touch some of your tools ! It would be at the end of August ? I wouldn't stay long to bother you . What do you think ? I also speake pretty good French as I suppose you do ?

The best edge tools I ever had I made myself from stubbs steel 7% carbon and hardened in light oil . You just can't buy edge tools that cut from the factory . WHY ? ? ? I think I've spent more time sharpening edge tools than actually doing the edges .

Hope to hear from you about the visit .

Best Regards ,

Leather Guru

Hello Ralph.

I am unfortunately no French, but would surely find someone who can translate.

English unfortunately too little, but the problem would dissipate safely. I would sure find which helps us and speaks perfect English.

St. Gallen is approximately 280 kilometres from Geneva.

If you are willing to look past but surely and we stir us even through the tools, leather-splitting machines, etc.

End of August would be no problem.

Well the tools by Blanchard, who were very nice.

But about 8 years ago, I was once in the Poursin, there, I've seen many old boards with horse harness fittings of various world exhibitions.

Gold plate coated, and beautifully engraved stuff.

Unfortunately the Camera in Paris was stolen from me, about 200 photos of the old fittings are no longer available.

These were part of the Time from Napoleon the third.

http://www.poursin-Paris.fr/s-Affiche-fr.php

http://www.poursin-Paris.fr/

What you can see of it still on the website is the same issue as with the tool by Blanchard.

Louis Vuitton but still gets its fittings of Poursin.

Steel for tools.

I have tested my good Half Moon once, the good have 64 Rockwell hardness.

These are to grind the very good and they are almost always made ​​from geschmideten plates, ie forged under the big machine hammer.

Unfortunately, this long no longer made​​.

If you're with me, I'll show you time how do I loop it.

I make them by hand or by machine, but have a special grinding paste from England.

http://www.Lea.co.UK/abrasive/comps3.htm

Lea Compounds is a fatless grinding paste themselves to the work of grinding very well is ideal.

She so much material takes away that sparks spray, but it is a paste that to a normal slice of sewn fabric.

The half moons get not an ever darker angle, they remain thin and easy to grind.

As a second step I take a polishing paste and finally a strop as at the razor.

I think the good hard Arkansas unfortunately little more I mean the grey to anthracite dark that seem almost transparent.

I use Lea compund for croppers, etc.

So, now, but enough for today.

Walter

Hi there.

Here are some of the few pictures I've taken with the Digitalkammera.

It is a Renault from 1911 was built at the Swiss company Saurer Arbon truck.

That is, only 1911 Renault supplied the frame the frame and underbody of the car including the engine.

Everything else was made in custom.

The calculation of the time is still there, it was 13 `000 francs.

At that time, the sufficient to build a large mansion.

The HOlzaubau was re-made, the engine and everything else obsolete, newly painted Polished etc.

The son wanted to get married, owner of the saddlery and always the letzteb craftsmen in such a work, I've spent the last Borden used as approximately 100 wedding guests were waiting.

that was the best advertising I have ever had, because these people enjoyed the aperitif, and amused themselves very gutm because something they had never seen before.

A Car-Sattler life to work.

The borders for the car, I left extra-weave, the brass parts on the car doors I made also new to.

The Ortiginale were made ​​of ivory, but since there is a trade ban for it, I took brass, in contrast to the silver mine was little.

The material is a heavy Woolen of about 650 grams per square meter. A so-called "Paspoil", swisslangwich, a Cavalry-cCoth, as you previously used this material for Uniforms.

The Leather of the Drivers-Bench is here color not good, I have photographed the Car in the Collection and in the Evening.

So I hope it makes you much pleasure.

Walter Roth

post-43725-0-08983200-1375292341_thumb.j

post-43725-0-43835900-1375292373_thumb.j

post-43725-0-97836500-1375292396_thumb.j

post-43725-0-10245500-1375292442_thumb.j

post-43725-0-65095300-1375292458_thumb.j

post-43725-0-24579500-1375292499_thumb.j

post-43725-0-02038000-1375292556_thumb.j

And the rest of the photos.

post-43725-0-18576300-1375292741_thumb.j

post-43725-0-85290400-1375292762_thumb.j

post-43725-0-04039400-1375292806_thumb.j

post-43725-0-74247600-1375292828_thumb.j

post-43725-0-89352400-1375292851_thumb.j

post-43725-0-82369900-1375292870_thumb.j

post-43725-0-30842300-1375292889_thumb.j

post-43725-0-98300200-1375292908_thumb.j

and again ..................

post-43725-0-25726500-1375293053_thumb.j

post-43725-0-49314900-1375293073_thumb.j

post-43725-0-04351900-1375293096_thumb.j

post-43725-0-35772900-1375293115_thumb.j

post-43725-0-80737400-1375293137_thumb.j

post-43725-0-45230200-1375293160_thumb.j

post-43725-0-99814000-1375293180_thumb.j

WOW nice tool & work

Thanks for sharing

Edited by wolfe9

Ops.......................

The Photos are probably some big doe ........... Sorry.

well, I'll learn it.

thank wolfe09 something one hears of course very happy .... (((-:

walter

thank you for sharing the pictures

Spectacular ! :notworthy:

Amazing work.

Thank you for sharing

Tor

Hello Ralph.

I am unfortunately no French, but would surely find someone who can translate.

English unfortunately too little, but the problem would dissipate safely. I would sure find which helps us and speaks perfect English.

St. Gallen is approximately 280 kilometres from Geneva.

If you are willing to look past but surely and we stir us even through the tools, leather-splitting machines, etc.

End of August would be no problem.

Well the tools by Blanchard, who were very nice.

But about 8 years ago, I was once in the Poursin, there, I've seen many old boards with horse harness fittings of various world exhibitions.

Gold plate coated, and beautifully engraved stuff.

Unfortunately the Camera in Paris was stolen from me, about 200 photos of the old fittings are no longer available.

These were part of the Time from Napoleon the third.

http://www.poursin-P...-Affiche-fr.php

http://www.poursin-Paris.fr/

What you can see of it still on the website is the same issue as with the tool by Blanchard.

Louis Vuitton but still gets its fittings of Poursin.

Steel for tools.

I have tested my good Half Moon once, the good have 64 Rockwell hardness.

These are to grind the very good and they are almost always made ​​from geschmideten plates, ie forged under the big machine hammer.

Unfortunately, this long no longer made​​.

If you're with me, I'll show you time how do I loop it.

I make them by hand or by machine, but have a special grinding paste from England.

http://www.Lea.co.UK...sive/comps3.htm

Lea Compounds is a fatless grinding paste themselves to the work of grinding very well is ideal.

She so much material takes away that sparks spray, but it is a paste that to a normal slice of sewn fabric.

The half moons get not an ever darker angle, they remain thin and easy to grind.

As a second step I take a polishing paste and finally a strop as at the razor.

I think the good hard Arkansas unfortunately little more I mean the grey to anthracite dark that seem almost transparent.

I use Lea compund for croppers, etc.

So, now, but enough for today.

Walter

"Hello Walter , We have a lot to talk about ! They have been making saw blades from "tungsten carbide " and tools for lathes from the same material & they come sharpend ! You can buy knife blades sharpened so why not leather tools ????

Hi Ralph

It is true what you say..................

But if over 40 harness by Hand has been cut to like me, then you learn that it not just on the hard and high-alloyed material arrives.

Today, it is a completely different approach to the knife making.

The today's knives are as hard as possible, with the idea that they by hardness of less quickly in sharpness lose...

Earlier made a steel represented a middle ground.

The blades should do well and be good to raise.

Today, there are many knife for sharpening a brow get which is difficult to remove.

The brow is machine grinding removes the fatty polishing paste with, the paste sticks a little and it pulls away the brow.

The old blades were just an unsurpassable steel, but not just a so hard, brittle. The manufacturer could do so only with experience because customers said that they are just good knife.

Technique you still wasn't able to examine the steel metallurgical exactly and to establish exactly how today it may be.

It's like with the samurai swords, you can a steel today who make wonderful is, nevertheless, swords out of it are not really good.

I have spent probably 200 hours to sharpen my knife, and I met with the differences.

Perfect for sand crescents by hand takes each knife 20 minutes. only the hand-ground get a perfect shape, but they are not so nice at the loop point, they look slightly scratched.

But they are unbeatable and perfect silhouette of the blade.

By the way, I cut since my training only on plates made of plastic as they use the butcher.

Limewood or Poplarwood are less well to the knife, and their structure is the arch tailor not suitable.

So, the modern things are often very good.

Greeting

Walter

Hello together.

I have a whole Blanchard catalog as a PDF and as photos.

Even a different dealer of these tools, also from paris, who had wei this same tools but so good.

If this interests you, please is it tells me I can set the images here.

Here are a few sample photos.

Walter

post-43725-0-74157300-1375379483_thumb.j

post-43725-0-87123400-1375379497_thumb.j

post-43725-0-07323300-1375379511_thumb.j

post-43725-0-13363500-1375379552_thumb.j

post-43725-0-64872900-1375379571_thumb.j

post-43725-0-56148800-1375379593_thumb.j

Hello Walter,

I have been looking for this catalog for a long time, it is a great find. I have seen some of it in the in the "Dictionary of leather-working tools, 1700-1950" by R.A. Salaman. The G. Krempp`s who was the successor of Georges Lutz, (according to the book) had the exact same tools in his catalog as Simonin Blanchard had. And the catalogs have the same date too, perhaps they used the same print to save money (as many leather tool seller still do). A other reason was that every French tool makers made tool from the same patterns, as even German makers did.

I have tools from several French makers:

Mayer Flamery A Paris * Fernand Mayer, Paris (who may be the one half of the latter) * Ullathorne & cie, Paris * Dumay, A Paris * Depose * SNCF (and a vertical) B. Even some with maker names I cannot read any more. However, they all seems to be made of the exactly same patters. You can see some difference in choice of material and shape of wooden shafts sometimes. Apart from that they are all alike. According to history there where toolmakers in every backyard in the old times, perhaps the big companies bought unmarked tools from them and put their own mark on them. I do not think thats far from the truth, and then later producing them their self. Perhaps also employed some of these backyard makers in their own firm. That history might be out there somewhere to be found, I hope its not lost for ever.

Anyway,

I am very interested in the PDF copy of course, that would help many tool freaks like me to identify old tools. I would be very pleased if you posted it, and perhaps I also could ask you for an PDF copy too. I will be bold enough to send you an PM (personal message), because its not wise to publish any emails online (spammers will bombard our email in boxes and steal our valuable time and perhaps info too).

In advance thanks.

I am always on lookout for nice old leather tools, some time ago I found an old Blanchard saddler hammer with a strange bone shaft. The steel did not look very good, but it had the right shape of a good saddler's hammer. (when your name is "Tor" you got to love hammers).

After several hours of restoring on my band grinder and polishing wheel it is usable again. Have you seen this kind of handle on any Blanchard hammer before?, its black, brown and white bone and not Ivory. Could it be from a mammoth? It is bone but not as hard as whale or walrus teeth's (and it do not smell like a horn). If you have seen something like it, please let me know.

Thank you

Tor

post-10237-0-63032000-1375404175_thumb.j

post-10237-0-53583400-1375404246_thumb.j

post-10237-0-40696100-1375404249_thumb.j

Hi Tor ..........

Well, the stories of Tor with the hammer I have ever read as a child, along with Connan the Barbarian ..... ((((-: .... and Prince Ironheart .......................

Norway is an unknown country for Swiss Sattler, like they had a unique culture in the harnesses for work.

So I gladly give you the PDF, send me your email address.

The price lists are also included.

This type of H, the so-called Saddle-Maker-Hammer, which I also have some with wooden handle, horn handle and there were also those with bone handles, with the bones I saw only once in an auction catalog.

It is quite possible, that was the one knife making as a repair like this.

In Blanchard, there were also workers, after they have retired, still continued to work privately at home.

I have such a tool with the Brand ......."Portrait of Paris,"....... has made super fine tools, but it is very rare to find. that was the Worker from Blanchard, told me an old Saddler from France.

Here's what to look at.

https://sites.google.com/site/ifojoss/outils-bourrelier-sellier/galerie-1

You can buy anything from him that all things are sold. In addition, the prices had ..... Wow.

Then there was the even of the most beautiful things ever made, the company "Strolz Paris" had only very fine ebony handles with inlaid shield made ........nickel silver........... or as the French say, ............."Argentan"..............

Blanchard was indeed famous, but by far not the best.

Even in Switzerland there was a tool making, the ......."Niggli Aarburg"............ has worked very clean.

Then the best knives from the company .............."Backaus"............. a Knivemaker in Bern.

They were better than that of Blanchard.

Backaus made the Half Moon Knife for the Swiss Army Sattler.

So now I've visited.

Yes here is the second of August, yesterday was National Day with us.

Greeting

Walter