Possumbreath

United States Postal Service Mail Bag Repair Shop

Subject of a 1917 Congressional Investigation. Initially, the women worked on leather, but the leatherwork was given to the men in the shop, allegedly because the cotton bags were easier to stitch, but the cotton stitching paid less..

post-69403-0-37481600-1454385798_thumb.j

Edited by Possumbreath

That's very interesting pic because I've never seen a Singer 11 class left-handed before.They have the center handwheel on what is normally the back & even the walking foot parts are on the other side.

Bob, if you google "mailbag repair shop" you can get a bigger and closer look at the picture. the image is inverted. singer is back to front on the leftside machine. :thumbsup: "we could have sold you that rare singer 11 leftie Hehe"

Edited by jimi

I thought it might of been inverted but look @ the woman in the middle of the pic,if it was an inverted pic she should be on the otherside??

The handwheel on this machine is on the left?

Holy smokes! I am never going to play "spot the difference" with you guys! With any luck, I will have more photographs from the Investigation of the Mailbag Repair Shop shortly. Maybe they will shed more light on the machines used. I the meantime, I am attaching the original one I received from the archive and the same photo, inverted.

John

post-69403-0-65525800-1454463207_thumb.j

post-69403-0-90510400-1454463227_thumb.j

Edited by Possumbreath

post-32832-0-23450600-1454539395_thumb.jpost-32832-0-52096600-1454539422_thumb.j Heres a couple with some singer 45k machines.

Another photo from the mail bag repair shop. Different year. 1914. More orderly.

post-69403-0-45301500-1454584692_thumb.j

Another photo from the mail bag repair shop. Different year. 1914. More orderly.

The posts in this shop are square, and they were round in the first photo, this is a different shop.

Son of a gun! According the the Post Office appropriations records, the office of mail equipment, which included mail bags and locks, moved from Chicago to Washington in 1914. The budget projection includes moving expenses of the mail bag repair/mail equipment office. Nice pick up.