leatheroo

ANZAC DAY Lest We Forget

Today was Anzac Day in Australia. Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. The acronym ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, whose soldiers were known as Anzacs. The pride they took in that name endures to this day, and Anzac Day remains one of the most important national occasions of both Australia and New Zealand.

It is a day that we remember all our brothers and sisters that have fallen in defending our way of life.

It is a public holiday across the nation and is marked by many rememberance services.

My son who is 14 has recently joined the Airforce Cadets...a program for 13-17 year old kids which is run by the Australian Airforce. Today was his first big event and we all got up at 4.00am so we could have him at the Historic Fort for the dawn service. It was a very moving service and attended by thousands of people of all ages.

He looked so smart in his dress uniform and had to attend 3 more services through the morning.

He made momma so proud.

anzac_scott.gif

post-4514-1209120508_thumb.jpg

He is a sharp looking young man in his uniform. I myself was a Navy Cadet at his age, about the best thing for a young man to do. I salute him.

Ken

Take pride and teach your history to your children. Our press, politicians, entertainers, and schools here in US are trying to hide and downplay the sacrafices that men and women paid to make & keep us free.

We salute the ANZAC and you.

Regis

Oh, Roo- what a handsome young man! God bless the patriots from all countries. Thanks for sharing.

Johanna

Roo. You can be justifiably proud of your young Airman. You can tell him that an RAAF MSI said He looks a million dollars in his Service dress and Slouch hat.

It warms this old RAAFies heart to see your son attend a Dawn Service and spend a few moments to reflect on the sacrifice of others.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.

Barra

He looks sharp as a tack!

I saw a mini-series about the ANZACs during the '80's, about the story of their formation during WWI. It starred Andrew Clarke, one of my favorite actors of that decade. :wub: Paul Hogan was also in that series.

. There are also links on that page to more clips.

Kate

God bless you & yours! May he stay out of harm's way, now & in the future!

russ

Right on! leatheroo!

Although we are from America ... we celebrate by eating ANZAC cookies ... which for some reason ... are really good.

-- Joseph

Very sharp indeed. It's great to see young people taking pride in their patriotism and honoring their country's history and those that came before.

God Bless.

John

Hi Roo,

Tell him he looks great. I am the CO of 312SQN AAFC if you are up this way you are welcome to visit.

Johanne