raysouth

New Cowboy 4500 Sewing Machine

Howdy Folks,

Want to share a bit of information and extend an offer to anyone wanting to purchase a new Cowboy 4500 sewing machine.

I purchased the $2695.00 package offered by Toledo Sewing Machine and folks there are great to deal with. Very helpful, as much as they can be at a distance.

My situation is such that I do not feel comfortable attempting to use such a nice machine while not knowing a thing about sewing. Had some assistance setting it up on the base and purchased several hundred dollars in different threads, bobbins, and miscellaneous extras. Not able to learn how to sew in my area so have decided to take a bit of a loss and sell the machine. It is sitting against the wall and frustrates me every time I look at it. I am disabled, not getting any better, and now think that it would be best to find a new home for the sewing machine. It has NOT been used so it is, in my opinion, still a new machine. Has all the bells and whistles and anyone reading Shop Talk and Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal has probably seen the ads for the package Bob is selling. It must be picked up in Opelika, Alabama, which is @100 miles sw of Atlanta, @35 miles west of Columbus, Ga., and @ 65 miles east of Montgomery, Alabama. I am just a short distance off I-85 and will meet buyer and lead to my home.

Asking $2500.00 for everything. You will save on shipping, less than selling price, and all the extras I purchased for the machine.

I hope there is someone ready for the machine. Many other items being sold here and will discuss with anyone interested.

Thank you for taking time to read this bit of information and hope this sill soon find a worthy home.

God Bless.

Ray

This is sad ,sorry to read this story . How to use your machine ; Leave the thread out of the machine and put some leather in the machine and learn the pressure foot control until you can sew as you wish fast or slow with control . Learn to write your name or make simple flowers what ever pleases you . Never quit or surrender until you have tried not once but many times. These machines dont come many times in a life time unless you are rich . Think like a conductor ,if you cant play hire some one who can to make your ideas come to life . Lots of artists would gladly trade a few hours of use of your machine for the sewing of your projects . There is always more than one solution to most problems . Keep the machine in house and all work happens there . About the worst thing you can do to the machine at this time is to break a needle or put it out of time ,needles cost near nothing and resetting the timing is about 50.00 service call . What is the harm in trying ? Bluesman1951

Howdy Folks,

Want to share a bit of information and extend an offer to anyone wanting to purchase a new Cowboy 4500 sewing machine.

I purchased the $2695.00 package offered by Toledo Sewing Machine and folks there are great to deal with. Very helpful, as much as they can be at a distance.

My situation is such that I do not feel comfortable attempting to use such a nice machine while not knowing a thing about sewing. Had some assistance setting it up on the base and purchased several hundred dollars in different threads, bobbins, and miscellaneous extras. Not able to learn how to sew in my area so have decided to take a bit of a loss and sell the machine. It is sitting against the wall and frustrates me every time I look at it. I am disabled, not getting any better, and now think that it would be best to find a new home for the sewing machine. It has NOT been used so it is, in my opinion, still a new machine. Has all the bells and whistles and anyone reading Shop Talk and Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal has probably seen the ads for the package Bob is selling. It must be picked up in Opelika, Alabama, which is @100 miles sw of Atlanta, @35 miles west of Columbus, Ga., and @ 65 miles east of Montgomery, Alabama. I am just a short distance off I-85 and will meet buyer and lead to my home.

Asking $2500.00 for everything. You will save on shipping, less than selling price, and all the extras I purchased for the machine.

I hope there is someone ready for the machine. Many other items being sold here and will discuss with anyone interested.

Thank you for taking time to read this bit of information and hope this sill soon find a worthy home.

God Bless.

Ray

Tell people what city or town you are in or near. I'm sure there is somebody on LW that lives within a reasonable distance from you that does some machine sewing sewing on leather. Some might be happy just to sit with you and show you a few things. Proper method of threading your machine, etc. Then start you on some practice sewing. Just need some thread, needles, and lots of scrap. After you have done some practice, then they could come back and show you how to change tension when you want to sew different thicknesses.

If no one lives close that sews leather, I'm sure that someone that does their own home sewing - ordinary cloth material - that could help you along. You might even do some practice with a home sewing machine and cloth or thin leather, then graduate to your 4500. When I was a kid, I did a lot of sewing odds and ends on a simple home sewing machine. Later I did some leather using a home machine. Last year I finally got a good machine, little lighter than your machine. But all the principles are the same.

Don't give up. And when there is something new you want to try, search for it here, and then ask how if you didn't find your answer. There is lots of information here.

CTG

Hello Bluesman.

Mailed a reply from isp but no idea if you received that way. Asw I said, I suppose I am just "pure chicken". Would feel different, perhaps, if I really understood sewing. Oh well, at this point in my life I will keep on keepin on but don't want to ruin a great looking machine.

God Bless.

Ray

This is sad ,sorry to read this story . How to use your machine ; Leave the thread out of the machine and put some leather in the machine and learn the pressure foot control until you can sew as you wish fast or slow with control . Learn to write your name or make simple flowers what ever pleases you . Never quit or surrender until you have tried not once but many times. These machines dont come many times in a life time unless you are rich . Think like a conductor ,if you cant play hire some one who can to make your ideas come to life . Lots of artists would gladly trade a few hours of use of your machine for the sewing of your projects . There is always more than one solution to most problems . Keep the machine in house and all work happens there . About the worst thing you can do to the machine at this time is to break a needle or put it out of time ,needles cost near nothing and resetting the timing is about 50.00 service call . What is the harm in trying ? Bluesman1951

Howdy Northmount.

I am in Opelika, Alabama, an area that, apparently, does not have leathercrafters. At least I have not been able to locate any. I approached an owner of household sewing machine repair and not a successful outcome there either. Don't mean to cry on anybodys shoulder or rain on anyones parade, as the cliches go, but have grown somewhat weary, attempting to rustle up someone nearby. Perhaps difficult for someone to understand my frustrations and fears but many other contributing factors now becoming more prevalentm primarily, health issues, etc. It will sit in the corner and will see what transpires in days to come. Beginning thoughts about wife having to dispose of my treasures, which consist of many different items or simply a collection of ????????? and more. Put together a grand leathercrafting workshop and loaded with supplies. Will just keep on making non-sensical objects and doing a bit of pyrography art on leather, for now.

I truly appreciate folks responding, even just to chat a bit. Be Blessed, my friend.

Ray

Tell people what city or town you are in or near. I'm sure there is somebody on LW that lives within a reasonable distance from you that does some machine sewing sewing on leather. Some might be happy just to sit with you and show you a few things. Proper method of threading your machine, etc. Then start you on some practice sewing. Just need some thread, needles, and lots of scrap. After you have done some practice, then they could come back and show you how to change tension when you want to sew different thicknesses.

If no one lives close that sews leather, I'm sure that someone that does their own home sewing - ordinary cloth material - that could help you along. You might even do some practice with a home sewing machine and cloth or thin leather, then graduate to your 4500. When I was a kid, I did a lot of sewing odds and ends on a simple home sewing machine. Later I did some leather using a home machine. Last year I finally got a good machine, little lighter than your machine. But all the principles are the same.

Don't give up. And when there is something new you want to try, search for it here, and then ask how if you didn't find your answer. There is lots of information here.

CTG

Hello Northmount.

Not able to locate the pm. Checked spam folder and think it was there but not sure. Attempted to open but for some reason, I was not able to do so.

Will now check my hotmail account to see if it is there.

Ray

Sending you a PM

Your PM should be on this site. Look at the top by your name and see if their is a green dot if their click on your name and then click messages and you have your PM.

Ha ha ha Helmut.... well that explains why you never answered my PMs.

Scroll to the top of the page... took to the top right corner if you have a green square with a number... that's how many un-read PMs you have here at leatherworker.net.

:head_hurts_kr:

Hello Sylvia,

I am a lost soul when it comes to computerese and many of the functions. Happy I know how to turn it on.

PLEASE, accept my apologies if I have not responded to messages you have sent. For the first time, today, I have learned from Northmount, what the green dot is near my name. Now I can say that an old dog was taught a new trick. I must now be more attentive to the green dot and learn how to initiate a PM?, myself. No need to bother everyone with my dribble.

God Bless.

Ray

Ha ha ha Helmut.... well that explains why you never answered my PMs.

Scroll to the top of the page... took to the top right corner if you have a green square with a number... that's how many un-read PMs you have here at leatherworker.net.

:head_hurts_kr:

learn how to initiate a PM?, myself. No need to bother everyone with my dribble.

Ray

Hi Ray:

No worries, I just figured you were busy.

Now that you know how to read your private messages (PM) it's an easy matter to initiate one.

Anywhere on the board that you see a person's name or handle.... you can click on it and it will bring you to their profile page. Once you are on the profile page look to the LEFT for a link that says "Send me a message." Once you do that, you will get a message page to fill in. (much like posting on the main forum)

:)

Syl

Hello Ray.

Sorry you do not feel you can use your CB4500. Feel your pain. I'm in Illinois and am not an expert but I got the same machine and love it!

I would be happy to come down and spend a couple days helping you to be comfortable with your steel! PM me and I'm on my way.

Kevin

Howdy Folks,

God Bless.

Ray

I found some horse saddle sewing machine from http://www.cowboysew.com/product1.htm, is there anybody selling Cowboy sewing machine in UK?

Is this machine still available?

Is this machine still available?

Hello Semmes, Alabama.

Yes Tonya, the machine is still in the shop, waiting for the right buyer. If interested and would like to set up time to see, please email and I will rerspond as soon as I receive.

I do not know how I missed this, but is this machine still available? I am very familiar with Opelika, AL as I grew up right down the road in Phenix City. Let me know, maybe we can work out a deal.

Ray,

There is a man in St Augustine, Florida using the Cowboy 4500 to make "Flip-Flops/sandles.

I spoke with him last February while there but I do not remember the name of his shop.

I imagine if you wish, a call to the Chamber of Commerce in St. Augustine would present his phone and e-mail. He was in the "Quaint" shops where there are many.

ferg

I am also interested. I am in Pa and I will drive there to pick it up.