Okay - I ordered a 3" blue gun from Cops Plus over a month ago. I emailed them about 3 weeks later to ask for a status update - never got a response. Several days later, I decided to call them. Supposedly they were waiting on a response from Rings to tell them when they'd receive the gun to ship out to me, but never heard from them. Thus, they never responded to me, the customer.

If you were to order a dummy gun today, whom would be at the top of your list? Blue, Aluminum, Red - don't care - if you need to build a holster, who gets your money the fastest for dummy guns?

I order mine direct from Rings. When I e-mailed them directly John Ring responded to my e-mails within minutes! Make sure to order them without the final finish because it will bleed onto the leather. I got mine in a week.

Interesting - thanks, I'll give that a try. I looked on their site, but didn't see any direct way to order them. You just contacted them via "info@blueguns.com"?

I order direct from Rings and have been pleased with their service, but for the fastest service...Duncan's Customs. I call Luke and it ships the same day as long as I call in the morning. I use them both equally.

Carl

I order direct from Rings and have been pleased with their service, but for the fastest service...Duncan's Customs. I call Luke and it ships the same day as long as I call in the morning. I use them both equally.

Carl

The photos of the guns on the Duncan site - the guns look less than stellar in terms of accuracy, edges, detail, etc. Do you find that it makes any difference in holster making? Can you get just as sharp of detail in your boning with an aluminum dummy vs. the blue guns?

This topic comes up with regularity.deadsubject.gif

Be advised, there are many outlets that advertise the Ring's Blue Guns but NONE OF THEM (to my knowledge) maintain any significant inventory; all of them (that I know of) take your order then have Ring's produce the piece and drop-ship to you.

For Ring's Blue Guns you are much better off to contact Ring's Manufacturing directly and place your order. You will pay retail price, which is more than some suppliers advertise, but the difference in service is well worth any discount you may find.

RE: Duncan's; their cast aluminum dummy guns may not be very pretty at times, but they are entirely functional for the intended purpose. If you wish to do so you may clean up the castings to your heart's content. A phone call will let you know what is in stock, when it will ship, and how much it will cost you. Good people providing a good product and very good customer service.

Best regards.

+1 on both of the answers you have received. I tried BOTACH at first before I learned what a problem they are. It wasn't worth the $6 or $7 savings for the hassle and time they cost me. I only order from Rings now.

http://www.duncansoutdoor.com/customs.htm is my second go to place. They have a better selection of guns I believe, sometimes the more obscure firearms or special guns like models with Crimson Trace grips etc.

One thing I've found is that sometimes it can be difficult on 1911 style guns to get the version I like in Cocked and Locked, with the safety up. Even the commander I got that was supposed to be cocked and locked was only cocked, but not locked. I have to grind off the safety, drill a hole for a new one and install a 1911 thumb safety on it. The Sig P238 mold from Duncans was also only available in a non- cocked and locked version. Easy enough to modify, but still a pain.

Thanks fellas - I realize this has been a topic of discussion many times before, I was just hoping to find somewhere that stocked them most reliably. I was not aware (and had never seen mentioned before) that Rings simply drop-ships the product (meaning that no stores actually stock blue-guns for immediate purchase).

I have sent Duncan an email asking for availability of of a cocked-n-locked 5". I don't really have the tools to mill off a safety. Last time I contacted them for a 3", they were out of stock on that as well and they had no idea when they would pour a new batch.

Thanks fellas - I realize this has been a topic of discussion many times before, I was just hoping to find somewhere that stocked them most reliably. I was not aware (and had never seen mentioned before) that Rings simply drop-ships the product (meaning that no stores actually stock blue-guns for immediate purchase).

I have sent Duncan an email asking for availability of of a cocked-n-locked 5". I don't really have the tools to mill off a safety. Last time I contacted them for a 3", they were out of stock on that as well and they had no idea when they would pour a new batch.

Rings has the 5" cocked and locked (non rail for sure), it is just my commander and the 3" micro that is not cocked and locked.

A dremel or anything would grind off the safety on either. It would not take much.

Edited by BigRiverLeather

I actually had some luck a while back picking up a bluegun from MidwayUSA, I had some other bits and pieces for my 1911 that I needed to order along with a Sig 229 bluegun. Came in with the rest of my order in less than a week, overall good experience. I have though started getting them direct from Rings so they come without the final finish, thankfully first few holsters I made with that bluegun ended up being black so the little rub off that I would have gotten was not at all noticeable in the final product.

Luke

I actually had some luck a while back picking up a bluegun from MidwayUSA, I had some other bits and pieces for my 1911 that I needed to order along with a Sig 229 bluegun. Came in with the rest of my order in less than a week, overall good experience. I have though started getting them direct from Rings so they come without the final finish, thankfully first few holsters I made with that bluegun ended up being black so the little rub off that I would have gotten was not at all noticeable in the final product.

Luke

Thanks Luke - had not thought to try Midway.

The photos of the guns on the Duncan site - the guns look less than stellar in terms of accuracy, edges, detail, etc. Do you find that it makes any difference in holster making? Can you get just as sharp of detail in your boning with an aluminum dummy vs. the blue guns?

This my opinion on the Duncans's dummies. They are the correct size and dimensions but they are not as "clean" as Ring's guns. I usually spend 10-15 minutes with each one to clean it up with a belt sander and a dremel. I will continue to use them along with Ring's unless something drastic happens. I urge everyone that has an interest in a certain model to call Duncans and tell them what you are looking for. Once they get feedback/interest from 3 or 4 people, they will re-cast items not in stock or try to cast new items.

+1 to BigRiverLeather on availability of the not so common guns.

Just my $.02.

Carl

One other thing that I've found, if you have to order them from somewhere that has the final finish you can remove it. Today I did some testing on my Sig bluegun and found denatured alcohol removed the blue finish coat without hurting the surface. Other cleaners may work also but I didn't try any of them, a little elbow grease and it's without the blue that I normally have a fight with. Also you don't have to get it all off, mostly just the higher points that get the most contact with the leather.

Good luck:)

Luke

I order directly from John Ring at Ring's Manufactoring. I just call him on the phone, he has my credit card info on file and it get shipped out the same day. I've also had great service from Duncan's. I've made quite a few holsters for the Kahr PM45. I was able to find a mold at Duncan's. No more placing my personal Kahr PM45 in my holster press and holding my breath hopeing I didn't crack the frame

Randy