Hallyth

Hello! Newbie Member, Complete Novice!

Hello everyone!

I am a brand new member...thank you mods for approving me.

I live on a canal boat (narrow boat) in the UK, and am also a boat builder....again of canal boats, for a living, with my own business.

I am looking for a new hobby though, that is something completely different for me, but also it has to be something I can do on the boat....so, limited space, limited water & 12v electric only, both of which are somewhat limited also, depending on where we are and the time of year...we rely on solar for charging our batteries, and as we float around continually, we have no mains hook up. The boat is 62' long but only 6'10" max outside, and holds 2 of us and a ridgeback cross dog, so space is limited.

Because of all this, I thought perhaps leather crafting would work for me?

Many years ago I bought a leather molded/sculptered face, which I love, and would like to learn to do something like it in time. Is this do-able with my living restrictions? I would also like to look at making things that are useful, belt holders for windlasses (the tool that opens canal locks) jewellry, hats, pouches, and such like.

I have no access to any sewing machine so need to be able to do everything by hand.

Am I being realistic thinking this is a craft area I can do on the boat?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice any of you offer, I am looking forward to being part of the leatherworking community! :)

Oh, my other problem is that I have to rely on my phone, or a modem for internet aboard, and the signal varies hugely around the canals, so downloading lots of photo's/video can be a bit hit and miss!

It could be complicated. Do you even have space where you would store your tools and materials?

Hi Hally,

i cant see leathercrafting being a problem with those limitations. Over the last 20months since i got hooked, i have made a huge range of stuff, and the only time i needed power was for the lights to see in the dark! I have just bought a dremel to speed up the sanding of edges, but thats something you can do manually.

Depending on the size of work you want to do, you may find cutting out large pieces of hide awkward - but certainly not impossible. There are some excellent books you can buy to guide you, if web connections are iffy...such as the "making leather cases...vols 1-3 by Al Stohlman". They cover lots of techniques and while the projects can look dated, its the techniques that you need to develop your own ideas.

If you want to try out the craft without a huge outlay, you could do worse than buy one of tandys Beginners leathercraft kits. Currently on sale around £35 but they are limited in stock and not getting any more. The tools are ok, and the leather is questionable, but there are plenty of projects to try and see if you want to go further. Its how i started (and many others on here also), and you'll soon know if you have the bug...thats when it starts to get expensive!

best thing though is to have fun...jump in and start making stuff!

adam

I have storage space. We have a tug deck, which has about 6'x6' of clear storage, and various other nooks and crannies!

Thanks Lightningad, I'll take a look at the Tandy kits.

I put another thread on the section for beginners, with some links for a shop in Matlock with kits etc...any thoughts on them?

I really want to try this out and find a new 'something' to do during the evenings, so I won't be easily put off because I live on a boat...it's just a challenge!! I figure big work can be done on the tug deck itself when the weather is dry!

Thanks for your thoughts so far!!

Starter kit ordered from Tandy...turns out it looks like exactly the same kit as the Matlock shop has, but much cheaper....thank you!

just had a quick look at the link you posted. I did spot they have the same tandy kit i refered to - only at £65 !! The other kits all seem to be for a single project, whereas the tandy basic has probably 5 or 6 kits, plus various stamping tools, dyes, glue, thread and needles, an instruction booklet... I dont know what the others come with as i havent tried one.

I will say that having worked through the kit, it was only when i started to make my own stuff that i really began to learn what i was doing! The kit is a good intro, but not much more.

Mine was bought as a gift for me - i had mentioned i wanted to try it, but nothing more. Once i got the kit, the bug bit, and within days i'd spend hundreds on tools and leather...you have been warned!!

adam

*gulp*, I was hoping it wouldn't get tooooooo expensive!! Ah well, I'll wait and see if it catches me. I've looked at doing a few crafts but they just aren't 'me' really, whereas leather work kind of 'feels right' for me. Plus my sister doesn't do it....a bonus as she is into everything and gets very competitive!!

I just want something I can sit on my boat and fiddle with, perhaps make saleable items eventually, but at least make gifts and such like!

What kind of things have you been making Lightingad?

all sorts of stuff !

started out making wallets, pouches, passports wallets, moved onto journals and book covers, and now i'm making satchels and have just about finished a big holdall thats just within flight carry-on sizes, but big enough to hold all my crap when travelling abroad (often have to work away and found the commercial bags were never big enough).

the good thing is, as you get better people will want to buy stuff or commission special pieces. I have sold a few now and am always on the look out for more customers! pity i have a day job getting in the way.

you can see all my stuff on my gallery page on the forum, or on my website listed below.

adam

also had a look at your boats...very nice! Do you just make them or do you hire any out?

No, we just build new builds, all bespoke. There's just the 2 of us and our painter, so it's a 6 month job from start to finish. We're running out of work orders though, after the current one (december launch) and whilst we have an order for 2015, nothing for next year.....scary!.....so I might need something to keep me occupied!

Oh wow, just looked at some of your stuff, it's gorgeous!! I doubt I will get to that level in that time...well done you! :)

thank you, really appreciate the comments!

i find it surprisingly easy to do things in leather. The process just seems to make sense. I'm certainly still a beginner, and i have plenty of duff items hidden away!

For me, the trick is to keep the designs simple and clean and do the neatest stitching i can! For example - the "Clone Bag" i did (a pair of them for twins!) there is only twenty pieces of leather in each bag ....which includes all the pockets, flaps, body, and straps....it just looks more complex because its done simply!

and before each project, make sure you learned everything you could from the mistakes of the previous one.

You've certainly found the best forum for advice. Ask anything on here and someone will usually be able to help out.

"only twenty pieces of leather"

:bawling:

but lots of them are very small and are from the offcuts! I managed to get three full satchels from one 20sq ft of leather, so pretty economical.

its not the cost, its the effort !

more than 3 or 4 pieces on a wallet & I go crazy

had a look at your bags, very impressive !

hand stitched ?

thank you....yes, all hand stitched. I find it almost therapeutic...suppose its a zen thing!

hey there, are you after making carved masks or molded ones?

I started with a stanley knife a cheap rotary punch for stitch holes

There are some fabulous mask makers on here, just search for masks. its a great hobby and you dont need too much space at all. I made my initial tool purchases selling mystery braid bracelets made from offcuts I made from leather bins from abakhan, keyrings and coaster sets. Take your time to get to know the material and how it behaves, not all of it behaves the same and have fun!

Pip

Thanks Pip, I have only really ever seen molded ones, so carved are an unknown item to me so far. Who knows, I may try my habd at both in the future. Meanwhile I just first need to get to grips with what is what, what it does, how it works, and have a first go at something simple! I have my starter kit now...busy work weekend ahead of me sadly, so I won't get chance to play for a while yet....can't wait to have a go though!!