rktaylor

Conchos On Stirrup Bolts

I have seen decorative nuts or Conchos on the ends of stirrup bolts, but can't seem to find them. Maybe that's because I don't know what keywords to search. Does anyone know a potential source? Thanks,

Randy

Jeremiah Watt is the only one I know of that supplies them.

CW

Hanson's Silver have them. and most silver makers can solder conchos onto carriage bolts.

There is another way to do it. Since I am not a silver maker and while I am rather good with a torch, I do not have a jeweler's torch and do not want to destroy the silver, I have taken a different approach. First, I drill a hole in the end of the carriage bolt, correct size for a 10-32 tap and tap then I also counter sink it enough to allow the shoulder of the to go into the hole about 1/8th of an inch. after covering, locate the hole and use a piece of 10/32 threaded rod to screw into the concho and the screw the whole assembly into the stirrup , using some red Loctite to make sure it doesn't come out later. Here is a pic of how it looks. Hope that helps.

Bob

post-8161-0-98098200-1409753586_thumb.jp

Bruce and CW,

Thanks for the leads. I will check them out. According to Jeremiah Watt, I need some Horseshoe Brand tools. Maybe he will throw in some conchos if I order some.

Bob,

You're talking my language. I was actually thinking about having the local machine shop make some internally threaded shafts like you describe and just replace the entire bolt. Are you putting conchos on both sides or just the outside?

Randy

Randy, I just put them on the outside. That way, you can still take them out of the stirrup when you need to recover them.

Bob

If there are those interested in how stirup bolts with conchos are made I could try to do a tutorial, though this really falls outside the realm of leather working. (More in the bit and spur makers world) it might take me awhile to get it done as I would need time to get to it and to order some silver for the job. In the words of Cptn. Jack, "why is the rum (in this case the silver) always gone?"