koolio

Locating The Right Leather

Hi again,

Didn't know where to turn to then remembered this very helpful forum.

I have some leather on the collar of a rare barbour jacket shown below, it's from a Barbour international jacket that is no longer produced called the Beacon.

The leather can be described as supple and very smooth with something of a fine grain.

I have several other Barbour international jackets which all come with the standard corduroy collar (which I detest and gives for a sore neck) and I know the corduroy can be removed and replaced by leather as I can see how the stitching has been done.

IMG_3883_zps6f26e982.jpg

IMG_3882_zpsf826c98d.jpg

Now trouble is finding the right leather, I recently ordered a load of samples in the UK but found all the samples didn't match.

The best ones I've shown below:

This first one has a great grain it is black embossed with a small grain pattern, is only 0.5mm thick, but is oddly very stiff and less smooth than the authentic article, it has a cheap feel, it's so stiff I can't properly shape it. The reason I can't use it is because I can only get the size below which is too small for my collar:

IMG_3890_zpsf29ae6d9.jpg

Now for the next one. This is also black embossed hide, it's 1.0mm thick. It's nice and supple but not as smooth as the genuine article and less smooth than the sample above it feels like a better leather with a nice backing (whereas the one above feels cheap), the trouble is the grain is fairly large and doesn't look right.

I find it odd that a 1mm thicker piece would be more flexible than a thinner 0.5mm piece?

IMG_3889_zpsc96b952e.jpg

Anyway given what I've shown does anyone have any idea where I could locate some leather like the leather on the collar of the jacket? ideally I imagine 0.8mm would be the correct thickness. Can anyone identify a name or what animal it came from on the collar? I think it may be full grain? Would help me loads when searching.

I know it's so difficult to locate the right leather from a photo, I've tried several suppliers in the UK with not much luck so far!

Edited by koolio

I think you would be farther ahead looking in second hand shops and used clothing stores for the leather you are looking for. Just a thought.

Thanks Geneva thats a real long shot, I think I'd have better chance looking for offcuts at suppliers.. Anyone any ideas?

Well I think I've made some progress identyfing..

I think it's full grain calfskin leather...