Lizard

Caiman Edge Finishing ?

I'm trying something new for me. I got a caiman tail and am going to use it as a partial overlay on a little J Frame pancake I make. I've never worked with exotics before and thought Caiman would be a good place to start, now I'm not so sure. it is very thin and flimsy. I will glue and stitch to the face of the holster, but I'm not sure how to finish the edges before I combine the two. Also, because of the humps and bumps of the skin, I don't think it will lay completly flat where the edges are glued and stitched. I guess this is what experimenting is all about. Anyhow, all suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lizard

I've decided to only use it as an inlay due to the edge issues.

My latest set:

226gator1.jpg

226gator2.jpg

I had pretty good luck skiving the edges very thin before gluing and then I just edged and burnished like I normally do. Came out fine.....

Bobby

I've decided to only use it as an inlay due to the edge issues.

My latest set:

226gator1.jpg

226gator2.jpg

Pretty work Shooter!

Thanks for the insight folks. Shooter, I am rethinking my process now and am probably going to go the same route as you. Doing an inlay and having a window around the Caiman would solve edge issues and make life simpler, just a little more leather and sewing.

Thanks,

Lizard

When I have worked with fiberous leathers as overlays I soak the edge with acrylic resoleen to "glue" the fibers together and then sand with 600 grit until nice and smooth. That is how I do edges with fresh water shark and how the attached edges for some really soft Alligator were acomplished:

post-10631-024653400 1318966211_thumb.jp

I've had good luck sanding off all of the fiberous material off of the back with a sanding drum in my drill press, detailing the edges with a dremel. For an overlay I then gle it to 4/5 oz and put the freshly glued piece in my press between 2 pieces of gum rubber for a good long while.

That inlay looks very nice.