Kevin King

Cherry Blossoms And White Patent Leather

It's been a while since I posted anything here. Thought I'd share this one because I really like it. Thanks for looking.

Checkbook made for a client to give as a Christmas gift. I love it when people give my work as a gift.

White patent leather, pink lizard inlayed in black cowhide. Pink cowhide accents.....and a ton of stitching.

post-3955-0-00970000-1354374227_thumb.jp

post-3955-0-03416600-1354374228_thumb.jp

post-3955-0-01229000-1354374229_thumb.jp

post-3955-0-87556400-1354374229_thumb.jp

Very Nice!

Kevin, this is beautiful....great stitching as always.

Very nice work Kevin. True art right there.

Beautiful work. Cheryl

I'm in awe! Did you hand stitch everything? And did you cover the white with something (masking tape or the like) to protect the white from scratches and oopses during the production? Amazing.

I love the look of this. That truely classic. I've wanted to work with patent leather for some time, but I knew there have to be some tricks to working with it I'm going to have to learn by doing.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for all the compliments!

I'm in awe! Did you hand stitch everything? And did you cover the white with something (masking tape or the like) to protect the white from scratches and oopses during the production? Amazing.

Thanks! All machine sewn. Didn't cover the white. Not sure I'd know how to do that while sewing the overlays/inlays on top of it.

I love the look of this. That truely classic. I've wanted to work with patent leather for some time, but I knew there have to be some tricks to working with it I'm going to have to learn by doing.

Thanks! I must be missing something, because I don't really do anything different when working with patent leather than I do with any other leather.

What type of machine did you sew on? flat, cylinder,, cylinder w/table,

beautiful work and very creative thoughts,,,,

care to share a little more of the details,, thread size

any points which made you pause for a moment? David

What type of machine did you sew on? flat, cylinder,, cylinder w/table,

beautiful work and very creative thoughts,,,,

care to share a little more of the details,, thread size

any points which made you pause for a moment? David

Thanks for the compliment. I use a Juki flatbed machine. I use 69 thread. This one was pretty straight forward, although I do have projects that do hurt my head when I try to figure out which layers to lay down first to get the look I am going for. Then add to that, thread color and leather color/skins. When the options are endless, it's sometimes difficult to come up with the perfect combo. I have found that when I am having a hard time trying to figure out how i'm going to do something, it's best when I just start it. Not really knowing what I'm going to do. Then the project kind of just makes itself...i'm just there to help it along.

Dang that's pretty!

Besides how rediculously amazing your work is I'd like to say thanks. Thanks for posting your very professional projects and commenting on them. I have been admiring your work since I signed up on this forum. It seems sometimes when people reach a very high level of design and quality they drift off and we never see them here again. Or they post their work and don't follow up with their post. Congrats on another fine piece and thanks for sharing it. As always I look forward to the next.

Thanks for the compliment. I use a Juki flatbed machine. I use 69 thread. This one was pretty straight forward, although I do have projects that do hurt my head when I try to figure out which layers to lay down first to get the look I am going for. Then add to that, thread color and leather color/skins. When the options are endless, it's sometimes difficult to come up with the perfect combo. I have found that when I am having a hard time trying to figure out how i'm going to do something, it's best when I just start it. Not really knowing what I'm going to do. Then the project kind of just makes itself...i'm just there to help it along.

Besides how rediculously amazing your work is I'd like to say thanks. Thanks for posting your very professional projects and commenting on them. I have been admiring your work since I signed up on this forum. It seems sometimes when people reach a very high level of design and quality they drift off and we never see them here again. Or they post their work and don't follow up with their post. Congrats on another fine piece and thanks for sharing it. As always I look forward to the next.

Again thanks for the info, it helps so much , for me, and others, to understand the basics and how to do things, as a starter and inspires me to "take a step outside the box and go for it"

Greystone,

Yes, step outside the box, once you have you'll never be stuck in there again.

Thank you. But I don't really see myself as any better than anyone else. There is some amazing work on the forum that I don't know how to do. I have drifted off a bit, but it's mainly because of my workload keeping me off of the forum and on the work bench.

Again thanks for the info, it helps so much , for me, and others, to understand the basics and how to do things, as a starter and inspires me to "take a step outside the box and go for it"

Greystone,

Yes, step outside the box, once you have you'll never be stuck in there again.

There's a box? I think one thing that works for me is the fact that I really don't know what I'm doing. I think that is where a lot of new ideas come from.

Thanks again!

KK