Ulfberht Leather Works

Drinking Horns And Food Safe Finishes

Hello all!

Working on a pair of drinking horns with a friend for Dragon-Con. Nothing too elaborate per say. I am looking for several things.

1: How to remove the processing smell, etc. Was told fill it with Guiness for a day and that would solve the issue.

2: Looking for a food safe sealant for the insides.... is this even necessary?

3: What would work well to seal the outside while keeping a natural appearance. I am thinking a good oil and sanding/buffing or even a rouge.

Anything will be helpful and appreciated. I will also be working to update this post on progress and ideas.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10443366_273651072814784_2791506164595326049_n.jpg

you could use a thin sheet of rubber, place it in the middle, pull it through and cut the hole on the tapered end remembering to use contact cement or a natural non toxic type of glue for added safety.

cut excess on the top and fold like a turned edge over the edge and cover it up with the leather overlay.

the horn can be airbrushed or maybe dyed w/ natural type stains.

I've had a lot of experience with hornware over the years and have never found a need to line horn vesels, all they really need is a very good scrubbing and (if you're paranoid) a bit of a soak with diluted bleach. 2:1, water to bleach is more than strong enough to kill anything a thorough cleaning missed.

As for the exterior finish, in my opinion nothing is more attractive than a nice hand polished finish. Hand sand to around 600 grit, alternating direction as you change grit, buff with 00 steel wool, followed with 0000 steel wool. If it's not shiny enough for you hit it with some neutral shoe polish and buff it up.

you could use a thin sheet of rubber................

Thanks for the idea. I imagine this is a little more than I wanted to actually do with it. The rubber would be pretty hard to get into the horn especially when it gets deep and would begin to fold.

I've had a lot of experience with hornware .......

Thanks also! That is some great information man!

I will give the sanding and buffing a try once we have carved some designs into them.

I scrubbed the horns out last night heavily with a bottle brush. Hot.... HOT soapy water did the trick to clean them. Used a natural plant based non toxic soap also(Myers Clean Day). Then I soaked them in a bath of hot water and 2 cups of Baking Soda on a whim. The soda is alkaline so it should not cause issue with the horn structure or strength like acids will. This morning I smelled the horns and they were almost perfect. I filled up the sink again and put another 1-2 cups in. I imagine by end of the day they will be fine. This should also kill any bacteria or germs on it as they cannot survive in an alkaline environment for long.

The Guinness does work. What I would recommend is get some denture sterilising tablets and drop one on the horn, fill to the brim and leave overnight. Do that till the smell goes away, just let it dry between times. Shouldn't take much. Then do the Guinness for a day, pour it out - don't drink :P - and the inside is basically done. I've had a litre-sized horn I did like this 8 years back and never had any problems with it.

*or, seeing your latest post, baking soda works too :P