I'm putting in an order for supplies. I currently use Tan Kote but have been suggested try Resolene. I am applying with an airbrush and diluted with water for ease of spray through tip. Is there any reason I should pick one over the other? I've never tried Resolene.

This finish is used on holsters.

I much prefer Tan Kote over Resolene, myself. For one thing, you can wash it off, reapply oil, and put it back on. Resolene I have a hard time getting to coat evenly. The spray would help with that. It does work very well over acrylics to protect it. What you should do is get a small bottle of it and try it out. But please spray it!

Kathy

Alright! I received my 4oz bottle of Resolene in the order yesterday and I have just finished applying it by airbrush to a holster. I must say, it freaked me out. When the Resolene landed on the black holster, the liquid looked like as I can only describe as 'black lit' :o You know, how a white shirt under a blacklight gets that superbright white that looks blue. Well, I decided to keep going and if it came out black lit, well, it'd be interesting.

I dried it with warm low on the hair dryer like usual, then buffed the first layer. I must say, I was impressed! I like it. I found it very easy to apply with airbrush and I am emphasizing to anyone having trouble finishing projects --> AIRBRUSH. It will do wonders! Oh I will add, I sprayed the Resolene straight from the bottle. I think diluting it any ratio is not needed for spraying. I just set my nozzle to regulate how much spray I wanted to come out at 15psi and went from there.

Resolene:

- consistency similar to whole milk.

- easy application with airbrush; didn't seem to mind uneveness in spraying; did not splotch when pooled a bit and dried

- flexible coating; like it was dipped rather than sprayed, felt 'thick'

Tan Kote:

- thicker and stickier in the bottle

- dries harder than Resolene

- thinner(?)

- finicky about brush on uneveness (I did not try to brush on Resolene so I can't compare that type of application)

Resolene it a hint tacky when finished, so I'm leaving it overnight to completely set. I'll have a pic up soon. I think both products are excellent and have their place. I do think a Resolene holster, as it sits now on the shelf setting, has a friendlier tactile feel than a Tan Kote holster. Both finish beautifully when buffed.

I think this would be a matter of preference and application. I'm glad I have tried both and can have practical application and validity to the product descriptions when you see these two products side by side. It means more when you can actually compare the two side by side in finished product than webpage description. Otherwise you ask yourself, "how flexible?", or "how glossy?"... etc.

Kathy, thanks for the little push to get a bottle an check it out :)

Edited by Shorts

Shorts,

Thanks for the comparison. What size airbrush tip are you using to spray Resolene out to the bottle at 15 lbs? I'll have to give it a try again.

Regis

Shorts,

Thanks for the comparison. What size airbrush tip are you using to spray Resolene out to the bottle at 15 lbs? I'll have to give it a try again.

Regis

My current airbrush is just the cheap one from Harbor Freight, IIRC it is a fine tip but it is adjustable there on the screw. And at that, I have it set on the narrow end of the adjustment for spraying the outside. The for the inside of the holster I opened it up for more saturation and coverage.

I'm actually going to start shopping for a new airbrush. This one has served its time and is giving me a little trouble on the button. It still sprays - I just have to have it pointed in the right direction :D

For what it is worth, . . . Resolene works fine without an air brush if you first thin it 50% with water. I use a 1 inch camel hair brush (el cheapo at that) and I keep working on the piece until the bubbles are very small.

Normally, I can do an IWB holster (inside and out) in about 10 minutes.

I do my finishing just off my wife's kitchen, . . . so spraying is not an option for me, . . . and I am very happy with the results I have gotten using this system.

I only have had one bad experience with Resolene, . . . it was on an oil based stain I was trying, . . . and the project turned very dark for some reason. It was my only unexpected result, . . . but the customer was OK with the color so it worked.

Normally, I use a solvent based dye, vs. oil base, . . . and the colors are rendered true under the brushing of the 50/50 Resolene mixture.

May God bless,

Dwight

There are also a couple of wax finishes that spray very nicely from an airbrush or single-action sprayer (which is what I use for finishes). They are Bee-Natural Leather Finish, and (believe it or not) Trewax Clean & Wax Liquid Carnauba Wax (a wood floor care product). They both spray easily out of an airbrush full-strength (they're both pretty watery), both produce a beautiful, natural-looking finish, and both are more water resistant than any of the acrylic finishes I've used. The Trewax is available in home improvement stores and is a lot less expensive than the Bee-Natural. Just thought I'd throw that in there to let you know that acrylics are not the only finishes that can be sprayed.

Kate

Kate, I'm really interested in trying the Trewax Clean & Wax Liquid you mentioned. . . The only thing I can find is a 22 oz. spray can. . . does it come in a liquid form so I can spray it through my airbrush?

TZHunter (Doug)

For what its worth, I used to work for a saddle company that used Resolene as a finish on all their saddles. The employees, who mostly spoke Spanish called it leche, the Spanish word for milk. It was applied straight out of the bottle with woolskin. It does look a little scary til it dries to a nice shiny finish.

Over the years, doing a lot of repairs, my brother and I found that saddles finished with resolene would not wash or take oil thru the resolene. Its a fairly permanent finish. That may suit your needs fine on a holster but we dont like it at all on saddles.

Another experiment Jay Lynn Gore and I did one time was to tool 2 pieces of leather, put resolene on 1 and neatlac on the other, let em dry and then applied oil, just to see if it would penetrate. The oil would go thru the neatlac in a few hours but it never went thru the resolene, even after days.

We prefer Tankote because it can be washed and oiled thru. Obviously holsters dont get the dirt and grime a saddle gets and you may be happy with the results and the permanence of resolene on your holsters. It is certainly a good protector if you want to keep out stains . Just my 2 cents.

Good thoughts Troy. Holsters do need to be protected from every day grime, but also oils and grit from the gun. The longer those can be kept from penetrating the leather, the longer the holster will last.

Kate, great idea about the wax.

Doug, I purchased mine in liquid form packaged in a 22oz. metal bottle (not a spray bottle) at an Ace hardware store. If you can't find it locally, you can order it directly from the Trewax web site.

Kate

Kate, I'm really interested in trying the Trewax Clean & Wax Liquid you mentioned. . . The only thing I can find is a 22 oz. spray can. . . does it come in a liquid form so I can spray it through my airbrush?

TZHunter (Doug)

That is good to know, Troy. When I'm evaluating various finishes, I tend to look more at the results of applying them, and sometimes overlook the question of what happens 5 or 10 years later, when the piece needs to be cleaned and reconditioned.

Kate

We prefer Tankote because it can be washed and oiled thru. Obviously holsters dont get the dirt and grime a saddle gets and you may be happy with the results and the permanence of resolene on your holsters. It is certainly a good protector if you want to keep out stains . Just my 2 cents.

Very informative thread! Thank you all very much.

Art

I no longer use Tan-Kote. I don't like the way it water spots. I have discovered "colorless harness dressing". It applies similar to tan kote, but is a more satin or flatter finish. It is mostly water resistant, it does not water spot, and it can be easilly oiled thru. It can be re-applied many times without the sticky buildup of other products. It is not entirely colorless, as it does darken slightly. I think it is one of the best kept secrets in leatherwork.

Keith

Kate, Thanks for the link. . . I have ordered and will try the Trewax Clean & Wax. . .The can looked so much like a "spray" can, I assumed it was such. . . thanks for your help. . .TZHunter (Doug)

I no longer use Tan-Kote. I don't like the way it water spots. I have discovered "colorless harness dressing". It applies similar to tan kote, but is a more satin or flatter finish. It is mostly water resistant, it does not water spot, and it can be easilly oiled thru. It can be re-applied many times without the sticky buildup of other products. It is not entirely colorless, as it does darken slightly. I think it is one of the best kept secrets in leatherwork.

Keith

Does anyone know where one can obtain the "colorless harness dressing"?

L'Bum

I see that Weaver has it, but it looks like only by the gallon.

You can buy it direct from Fiebings. It is only packaged in quarts and gallons. Any fiebings dealer can stock it for you.

Keith

I use Resolene cut 50/50 with water and dip the whole holster and drip dry. Use a paper towel wet on one tip with Resolene to clean up any drips or bubbles. I put the result in front of a fan for the night and depending on humidity it generally drys perfectly in 12 hours. Cutting it with water keeps it from getting to tacky and thick. Sealing the inside by dipping helps keep the gun dry and no bleeding due to perpetration or rain.

That is my two cents.

Cutting the resolene by 50% lends to allowing the dye to bleed through. There's been numerous reports of that on some of the gun forums. 25% or less mixture of water is a better solution IMO, based on my personal experience.

Resoline is good and i like it...on certain pieces...but for outdoor stuff that you may be wanting to apply Neetsfoot oil or something similar, use Tan kote.

Resoline seals the pours of the leather, will not let other conditioners through......Tan kote will allow the leather to "breathe"...it may not polish up like Resoline, ....it all depends on how the leather item will be used and in what elements.