nichovaladez

New To Leather Need Advice On The Tools I Need

Hi Guy's, I'm new to the whole leather game. I've had this project in mind that I would like to create. It is a leather keychain. Below are examples of the type of keychain I want to create. Can you guys help me out in picking tools I would need for this specific job. I don't know what would be the best tools for cutting leather in shapes similar to this and then constructing it.

Any help in greatly appreciated.

900x600px-LL-e61c9a23_1000x500px-LL-10b46975_0d26cbdb.jpg

key_brn_nickel02.jpg

img_4483_800.jpg

Just to cut it out and put it together, a utility knife, hole punch, and a rivet setter is all you need.

To finish the edges, you can get them damp with a small sponge and use a piece of canvas or denim to rub the edge. Fold it up a time or two and buff the edge rather hard. You want to heat it up a little. The plastic burnish wheel sold by Tandy does a nice job too.

Thanks again radar67!

To finish the edges, you can get them damp with a small sponge and use a piece of canvas or denim to rub the edge. Fold it up a time or two and buff the edge rather hard. You want to heat it up a little. The plastic burnish wheel sold by Tandy does a nice job too.

Chicago screws from Tandy are also a nice alternative to rivets, and don't require any tools.

If you want these to look semi-professional, you could buy an edge beveller to give the edges a nicer appearance.

Thanks Cameroo! I definitely need them looking professional, I'm gonna be selling them retail for my clothing line. Any other suggestions you might have to accomplish that are greatly appreciated.

I'm also gonna be getting my own setup to make my own stamped leather labels. I'm looking into the arbor press/stamp plate idea. Do you know for these, would the finishing process be the same? Also if you have any recommendations on any tools I will need for this.

Thank you,

Nicho

Chicago screws from Tandy are also a nice alternative to rivets, and don't require any tools.

If you want these to look semi-professional, you could buy an edge beveller to give the edges a nicer appearance.

With edges, it depends on how firm the leather is. If it is soft, I will just burnish the edges. If the leather is firm, I will use the edge beveler. I also like to use the stitching groover to make decorative lines that follow the edge of the leather. If you do it after the leather has been dyed, it makes a nice looking contrast. If you do it before the leather is dyed, it makes a different effect, which can also look great. Practice on some scrap and you will find what you like. Don't be afraid to experiment. Leather is valuable, but knowledge is even more so. Good luck!

It is called a Bluegrass Easy Edger or somethng close like that. They also make a larger one with 4 wheels. Might try Weavers.

Bruce is right, Weaver Leather sells them. The one you are looking at is a single edge beveler they are around 3 or 4 hundred. The 4 edge's at once cost around 800 when all is said and done both are manually operated. You will need to setup an account with Weavers with a tax number they do not sell to the general public since they got bought out 2 or 3 years ago. Good luck.

Hi does anyone know the name of this tool and where I can by one. Been searching the internet for hours and have not found out the name.

wood_and_faulk_leather_belt_edger.jpg

Thank you

depending on the leather you use you may not get the edges to come out as nice as you would like, get some samples. any upholstery type leather is going to have furry edges for the most part.

it also depends on how many you want. if your going to be making thousands then u will need to buy some equipment. if you need hundreds then i would suggest finding the leather and making a pattern for it, then get a die made so you can have someone with a clicker cut the parts out of the leather for you, you will need to pay them for this service probably but you will get the most out of your leather and your edges will be a lot nicer and you may not need to edge bevel them. if your leather is thin then the beveling isn't going to do much anyways. the die will cost you maybe 50 bucks depending on the intricacy of the design. but the time you will be saving and the quality of your finished product is well worth it. if you try and cut out hundreds by hand with a utility knife you will not get those nice rounded corners.

i have a keychain like this and it cost me like 40 bucks but i was supporting a local business that has made a big impact on the "fashion" industry and i was also trying to get my foot in the door with them for a few other projects.

if you want to make these out of veg tan leather and dye them yourself you can get great looking edges also but then you have to make sure you dye them properly and finish them and even then you may have an issue with the color coming off so i would recommend looking around and seeing where you can get that same kind of leather from

pm me if you have any more questions and ill call ya and answer anything i can

good luck