bylinesupplyco

How Can I Split Leather?

Hey yall,

So I've got some projects I'd really like to use some Hermann Oak english bridle on. Obviously most English bridle comes in a heavy weight between the 9/10 or 11/12 oz range. I am looking for a way to either find someone that sells Hermann Oak English bridle that's already been split to a 3/4 or 4/5 oz weight, or figure out a way to do it myself after I would buy a hide.

I don't have a ton of money, but is there a way to split the leather down to my desired weight without having to buy an overly expensive machine?

I've looked into manual crank splitters, just not sure which one would be a potential good choice.

I'll be using the English bridle for wallets and smaller things like that if that helps.

If nothing else does anyone know where I could get Hermann Oak English bridle in this weight, or someone that splits leather?

Thank yall in advance!

There are some home made splitter, if you look on youtube. There is a
Russian one who even gives you the drawings. It seeems to work.

That will be my next project after I get my machines to work. I don't have 400 dollars to spare on buying one and they seem fairly simple devices.

Alex

There are some home made splitter, if you look on youtube. There is a

Russian one who even gives you the drawings. It seeems to work.

That will be my next project after I get my machines to work. I don't have 400 dollars to spare on buying one and they seem fairly simple devices.

Alex

Do you have a link to the Russian plans? I have looked around at making a DIY splitter but I've never seen any plans provided.

No, Wickett and Craig will split their hides, but he said several times he wanted to use Hermann Oak leather...not W&C.

Just an FYI before you try to build or purchase anything.
All pull-through splitters (homemade and otherwise) are really only meant for leather straps. Anything wider than 2" and youre going to have a very rough time.
If you're looking for something to split down leather parts from 8-10oz, you'll need at least a crank splitter, if not motorized.
Best option would be to have someone with a band knife splitter to take down the thickness for you.

Thanks for the response Steve.

Well last week I built a book binder's paring machine. It didn't really work and bares out what you say. I have a couple more things to change on it ie broaden the "anvil" so as to change the angle of attack and hopefully that will help. However, it has been a disappointing experience. I shall post pics later...

Cheeers

Alex

Late to the thread.

You can only but Hermann Oak from the tannery in what are probably impractical quantities. They will split for you but I doubt any distributors will.

Wickett & Craig doesn't have minimums and will split anything to any weight at a reasonable price and with quick turnaround. I personally think their bridle is much nicer than HO.