Sign in to follow this  
Steve Brewer

fitting seats

IMG_0461.JPGHow do You fit seats?I fit the seat before I set my riggings.That lets you cut your seat without cutting into the fork cover or riggings

post-6829-1219447909_thumb.jpg

I always fit my seat after the rigs are in and fork cover is on and yes you have to be careful. Part of this reasoning comes from covering association and high country forks with no welts, I am aware of exactly where my nail heads are and I can make sure there are none visable along the edge of the seat going around the fork. Steve's advice is good advice on a slick fork but could bite you in the backside on a swell fork. Greg

Greg I fit every thing from cutters to low moose without the rig in or fork cover on .Also I don't cut the gullet hole out until the seat has been stamped.It is just my way, yrs. agoi I did just as you dobut found that this works better for me.

Everyone has there own way of doing things.What works for one person might not work for another.That's what makes this site so good.

Thanks Steve

I do the same as Greg. On rare occasion I will fit the seat before the fork cover with a slick fork saddle.

Gullet, ground seat, Block skirts, install riggings, remove skirts stamp or carve then put fork cover on, fit cantle. tack skirts back on and fit seat.

I like to have my skirts blocked in place before i fit and install the riggings so that I get the lines that I want. although I could get by without doing that sometimes.

Different strokes for different folks!!!

Being self taught for the most part it pays to sometimes question why I do things the way that I do.

Andy, 20yrs ago I worked in a 6 man shop that sent all of their carving out .We fit up saddles ,I mean the whole package,sent to carver.Had as many as 4 ahead of what we working on at the time. Most were Bowmans ,some a forks and some Cutters.Then we carved the swells and cantle bindings.It works pretty well.

Steve