DavidL

Do You Make One Product At A Time?

For those who get a few orders a day how do you prefer to work.

Do you do one holster at a time or do you do 10 holsters at a time. Meaning you cut out all the pieces then dye them all, stitch ,ect.

Edited by DavidL

I don't make holsters but I do try to consolidate the "like" work as much as I can. Saves time and time is money. That's why one-off stuff is higher priced. Even Jeramiah Watt says you gotta have at least a couple saddles going at one time:-)

I always have several going at a time in different stages.I will usually cut one out do what I need to before dying then dye it I let it dry for 12 to 24 hours. While it is drying I will make a pattern or cut another or stitch one, depending on what I have and in what stages. When it is dry I will stitch the mouth and toe if applicable, then glue the main seam, again allowing 12 to 24 hours drying time. It will also depend on how many projects I want going at one time and what else I have on the agenda that may take time away such as Dr.'s appointments etc.

I could never run a high production shop, . . . I can do one belt, one holster, one pair of chaps, one bridle, . . . etc, . . . but I simply do not do 2 or 3 of anything at a time.

Every time I try it, . . . I screw up something, . . . have sometimes gone in the hole because of it, . . . just quit it.

If people don't like my wait times, etc, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I too will do all similar work at one time. For example, I typically will have at least 3 wallets of the same style on order at the same time; I will cut out all required components and then start the detail work on the first one (and I only work on items in the order which the order was received; no PRIORITY or SPECIAL RUSH jobs as it would be unfair to others who placed their orders first); once the detail work has been done on the first one I move to the next one, and so on. I will do this for every step/process required until finished. And of course, as Dwight so beautifully stated: if people don't like my stated wait times, well, I am sure that there is someone out there who will make it for you much faster but the quality will have suffered by going that route.

I do multiple projects as well. Also, I cut extra from time to time, for example Rifle Slings are 2-1/4" wide tapering down to 1", If I cut one, I use a 2-1/2" strap because I like to keep my belt bend or double shoulder with a straight edge. I can cut a strap 4" wide and cut two rifle slings by reversing one so the tapers are reversed. I save 1/3 sq ft and I sell about 40 rifles slings a year so I save nearly 7 sq ft of leather over the year. That's just one example, but I will normally cut multiples to prevent wasting leather, I might then only make one, but the next time I have an order for one, I already have it cut. Wallet backs are a good example, I'll cut a strap 3-1/4" wide, then use a t-square and cut the length 9-1/4" and get as many as I can from that strap, then I don't have to cut out any more wallet backs until I sell those. a 50" strap yields about 5 wallets, the remainder I use for smaller items or test scraps. Just the way I've always done it, I don't like to cut one wallet back from a side, etc. If I have multiple orders, I'll work on several at once, making use of drying time on one to get assembly or carving done on another, etc. To answer your original question, I do not make additional holsters, if I have orders for more than one, then I will make them at the same time using drying periods etc, but I make each holster custom, I don't use blueguns and don't keep patterns, I only make holsters for local customers and I require the weapon for 2-3 days while making the holster. So I don't make or cut up a bunch of these. I don't save the patterns, each one is drawn, cut, used then discarded.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

4 different projects on my bench right now. two should be done this weekend and the others by next weekend. I don't do multiples of a single item so it's start one project - get to a stopping point (drying) - start on the next one.

Chief does it right though. cut out multiples so they are ready when requested. I don't get enough orders to justify doing it that way but it's a good way to do it. I keep my patterns for holsters though.

I do multiple projects as well. Also, I cut extra from time to time, for example Rifle Slings are 2-1/4" wide tapering down to 1", If I cut one, I use a 2-1/2" strap because I like to keep my belt bend or double shoulder with a straight edge. I can cut a strap 4" wide and cut two rifle slings by reversing one so the tapers are reversed. I save 1/3 sq ft and I sell about 40 rifles slings a year so I save nearly 7 sq ft of leather over the year. That's just one example, but I will normally cut multiples to prevent wasting leather, I might then only make one, but the next time I have an order for one, I already have it cut. Wallet backs are a good example, I'll cut a strap 3-1/4" wide, then use a t-square and cut the length 9-1/4" and get as many as I can from that strap, then I don't have to cut out any more wallet backs until I sell those. a 50" strap yields about 5 wallets, the remainder I use for smaller items or test scraps. Just the way I've always done it, I don't like to cut one wallet back from a side, etc. If I have multiple orders, I'll work on several at once, making use of drying time on one to get assembly or carving done on another, etc. To answer your original question, I do not make additional holsters, if I have orders for more than one, then I will make them at the same time using drying periods etc, but I make each holster custom, I don't use blueguns and don't keep patterns, I only make holsters for local customers and I require the weapon for 2-3 days while making the holster. So I don't make or cut up a bunch of these. I don't save the patterns, each one is drawn, cut, used then discarded.

Chief

Do you have concerns about the leather warping or distorting if you keep spares around? It wouldn't be an issue 2 or 3 months later, but 5-6 months there may be distorting in the leather because of change in temp or humidity? It would be unfortunate to stock pile inventory and have it go to waste like that.

I know with wood that is one of the things thats an issue, less so with leather although it still can be a problem.

I generally work only one item at a time. I do pre-cut blanks for my notebooks and sometimes I premake a few pocket flaps or interior linings, but when it comes time to carve something, that gets my full attention until it is completed. I am only part time at this so I don't have enough free time to carve a cover in one sitting, so it will happen over multiple days with the project going into the refrigerator between sessions to discourage mold. When there is spare time in a project, such as drying time, I might work on something else like making spare liners or preparing wallet pockets.

Do you have concerns about the leather warping or distorting if you keep spares around? It wouldn't be an issue 2 or 3 months later, but 5-6 months there may be distorting in the leather because of change in temp or humidity? It would be unfortunate to stock pile inventory and have it go to waste like that.

I know with wood that is one of the things thats an issue, less so with leather although it still can be a problem.

I don't have concerns about it warping or distorting. If it is around long enough to warp or distort, it would do so whether I had strapped it out or left it attached to the Shoulder or Belt Bend. It's never been a problem.

Chief

Always working with different projects at same time. Cut out all the pieces then dye them all, stitch ,etc.

I have 4 benches. The main workshop bench with all my leather tools for finishing and small item's cutting .

The second is one big "island" in the middle of the workshop for cutting the hides and dyeing- gluing. And finally two remote auxiliary benches for the dirty work, cutting wooden templates, and curing the molded or dyed parts.

I found that small scale production of 5-10 items per time saves time and money and can be at very competitive prices.

Rule of thumb : when I have a special order of an item I always make at least two more of them. And leave the options open for later. For example if it is to have bronze or nickel fittings I leave them without fittings till future customer decides.

But then again I'm a lunatic and I do that professionally for only one year now.. :-) I'm fully equipped with full series of CS Osborne hand tools, 3 sewing machines, hydraulic clicker, a splitter machine, my own made edge burnisher, etc. thanks to all you guys and your precious advises, tips and deep knowledge in leather craft !

Greetings from Greece

Andreas

post-51060-0-31655400-1436384313_thumb.j

post-51060-0-08306000-1436384338_thumb.j

post-51060-0-60835400-1436384359_thumb.j

post-51060-0-23206300-1436384916_thumb.j