Sign in to follow this  
DJ1935

Padded Noseband

I've got a padded English type noseband and matching browband to make. Can any one tell me what is used for the padding on these? I have disected an old one and it has a white spongy material, about 1/4" thick and 1 1/4" wide. It has both edges rounded, suggesting that it came in a roll rather than cut from a sheet.

Thanks in advance

DJ.

From Verlane.

https://www.siegelofca.com/view_verlane.asp?id=131

This link might help too.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...raised+browband

Barra

Edited by barra

Thank you Barra. I'm actually looking for the sponge material used for the padded backing which goes against the horses' nose - usually on German made Crank type nosebands. The raised part is sewn to the front of this.

DJ

Weaver Leather sells sheet neoprene - I think it's black, but they may have white too. You may also consider looking for wetsuit material - also used to make up neck sweats and the like - easy to find, easy to work with, resistant to horse sweat :) and the knit backing makes it easier to stitch on a machine or glue in place.

Been a few years - I have actually cut up a narrow throatlatch sweat to make up padding for small projects - cheaper than buying a big lot of it!

Kate

Ive been using some closed cell foam. its from a "camping/sleeping pad". ive seen it at a camping store and such, but i usually look for less expensive places. we have REI stores around here and they keep them in stock as sleepingbag pads.

ive also used some stuff from work. it covered our spool cores used to ship/store fiber optic fibers. It was about 1/8" thick and approx 6" wide by 18" long. Since it was free i grabbed some, but i only use it if im trying to match an existing part in the bridle since its thinner.

btw, the camping/sleeping pads were 1/4 or 3/8 and ive seen them thicker.

i also got a whole roll of ~1/8" closed cell foam from a surplus store. They are no longer in business, but i got enough to last me for a while.

you may want to look in your local yellow pages under "foam". Ask for "closed cell foam" in the thickness you want.

btw, i dont bevel the edges. when you wrap the leather around it, the edges will be rounded. i imagine, there is someone out there that sells what you have by the roll, but ive never seen it. i just cut what i need off the sheets. Using a straight edge and a new xacto knife blade, you can get a good clean straight line/cut.

you can usually ask for a "sample" and play with it using the leather you want to cover the foam with and see how it behaves/feels to you.

if you cant find anything let me know. i have some scrap pieces that may work for you if you know the size/thickness you want or if you want some to test/play with and see how it fits your needs.

Edited by $$hobby

Hello DJ,

I use for padding nosebands, english and crank style, a foam that is called "Evazote", I think it is the technical word for this kind of foam material. Here it is sold in several thicknesses. For english nosebands I use thinner foam about 5 mm thick and for crank nosebands a bit thicker .

Gesa