tashabear

Rune set

I ordered a rune stamp set from Denmark. It sat in the post office for over a month and it just got here today. The outer box was open, the inner box had fallen open, and most of the parts had fallen out. I only have 13 runes in my hand, and I think there should be 24. I'm going to open a claim, but I want to be sure I only have half a set here.

I'm so bitterly disappointed in this entire experience I can barely speak of it. What kind of moron doesn't tape the inner box shut before they pack it? We won't even go into the serious lack of communication...

Edited by tashabear

It depends on the flavor of runes. If you ordered the elder futhark set then there is 24 runes, if you ordered the younger futhark then there is only 16

You might want to file a claim.

It depends on the flavor of runes. If you ordered the elder futhark set then there is 24 runes, if you ordered the younger futhark then there is only 16

You might want to file a claim.

There's only one set; I don't have a choice between elder or younger. These happen to be elder, so yeah, I'm out. I'm irritated beyond belief, because this was so easily avoidable.

Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are "runes"? Never heard of these before. Mabye it will hit me once I know the answer.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are "runes"? Never heard of these before. Mabye it will hit me once I know the answer.

It's a system of writing used by the Norse and Anglo-Saxons prior to adopting the Roman alphabet. Tandy used to sell a stamp set of the Elder Futhark, but they discontinued it in favor of the Hebrew alphabet, which apparently sells much better. I'm a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, and do a lot of Viking stuff, so I've wanted the rune stamp set for a while. I paid through the nose to get this set shipped from Denmark, and because the guy I bought them from (or his shipping department) didn't use their brains, I now have half the pieces I'm supposed to have.

Edited by tashabear

Thank you. I've been on the wrong end of poor packing before, and it sucks.

Hey Tasha,

I will call my friend I borrowed the Futhark set from and ask her how many pieces are in her set. It was in the mid 20s, but I dont know the number exactly.

William

There are 25 pieces in a set of Elder Futhark rune stones including a blank one - I guess that means there should be 24 stamps.

Edited by UKRay

This is a rune stone a couple of miles from my place. There is an english version of the website. Please enjoy!

http://web.telia.com/~u63501054/Runstein.html

/ Knut

Tasha - No word from my friend yet as to the exact # of stamps in the set.

For those not in the know, here is a pic of a leather box I did with Futhark runes like the one Tasha is trying to order.

William

outside.jpg

post-6419-1232232547_thumb.jpg

I heard back from Cat and there are 26 stamps in the Futhark set.

Tasha - No word from my friend yet as to the exact # of stamps in the set.

For those not in the know, here is a pic of a leather box I did with Futhark runes like the one Tasha is trying to order.

William

"One DM to rule them all" :notworthy: Nice one!

Yep, most standard rune sets have 24 runes. The Tandy set had a couple of extras when I got mine but they were repeats. Darned glad I got them when I did if they've discontinued them!

"One DM to rule them all" :notworthy: Nice one!

Thanks! hehe

It was a gift for a DM with a God complex who is also a big Lord of the Rings fan. I felt it was fitting.

Does anyone know how much a set of the stamps from Tandy would go for today?

A few months back I noticed several sets of the Tandy runes pop up on ebay and etsy. I recall that they were priced between 50 and 100 dollars, I know that the lower priced sets sold pretty quick but i'm not sure if the higher priced ones sold. However they do still come up, but I guess if there is more than one person who wants them, they will sell pretty fast.