CWR

Ruff Out Lewellen

Finished this one up on Saturday. 15 1/2 Lewellen with wood post horn 13" swells and semi round skirts. Tree came from Sonny Felkins at Quality MFG. These are the biggest swells I have covered with no welt. I know that's not much of a feat for some of you guys but I was real tickled to get it done. Good honest critiques are always welcome.

Thanks,

CW

post-5332-0-30471800-1401729219_thumb.jp

post-5332-0-10221600-1401729241_thumb.jp

post-5332-0-74757000-1401729266_thumb.jp

What do you mean "that's not much of a feat"? That is always a good feeling for anyone! Nice job on the whole thing. Now send it out to get used.

Thanks Bruce. I used a combination of yours and Troy West's techniques to cover the swells. It's going to a boy who makes his living out of a saddle so I hope to get some good feedback from him.

Thanks,

CW

Edited by CWR

My technique is pull, push, pound, and swear a lot. I hope Dawson didn't learn any new words.

I think you did an excellent job.

Those swells look very clean and smooth.

As does the rest of the saddle.

Joel

Good looking saddle!

I like a ruff out saddle they just keep looking better and better over time.

I always enjoy seeing your saddles, thanks for showing. Billy

CW, nice good looking saddle! One of the things I like to look for that speaks quality to me is detail finish. Things like alignment, edge finish and so on. I noticed right off, from the pic from the rear that the centerline of the skirts and jockey's line up with the centerline of the horn (using a vertical line fence for back ground really makes that stick out). That doesn't happen by accident very often! Also, even though your edges aren't stained,(not a necessary thing) they are cut, sanded, and slicked to a high shine. It shows off best in the sun and bespeaks of quality through out. Those are the kinds of things I look for when I am looking.

Again, nice job!

Bob

Bruce, He didn't learn anything new. LOL. Maybe just a review of past vocabulary lessons.

Joel and Josh thanks for the compliments.

Billy, Ruff outs are pretty popular in this part of the world. I like them myself. Even if you start out with a slickout saddle it turns to ruff out before long in our brush. The wood post horn though is still pretty rare down here. Thanks for looking.

That doesn't happen by accident very often!

Bob,

I'm not very smart but I have a good memory. I still remember that scolding you gave me for not having my jockeys and skirts lined up some years ago. ;) It's something I pay particular attention to now. I want to thank you again for that and your very kind comments now.

Thanks,

CW

CW,

Not much that I can offer on your saddle that hasn't been said. It looks real good. And, covering that swell without welts must have been a real task. Great job.

Ron

Bruce, He didn't learn anything new. LOL. Maybe just a review of past vocabulary lessons.

Joel and Josh thanks for the compliments.

Billy, Ruff outs are pretty popular in this part of the world. I like them myself. Even if you start out with a slickout saddle it turns to ruff out before long in our brush. The wood post horn though is still pretty rare down here. Thanks for looking.

That doesn't happen by accident very often!

Bob,

I'm not very smart but I have a good memory. I still remember that scolding you gave me for not having my jockeys and skirts lined up some years ago. ;) It's something I pay particular attention to now. I want to thank you again for that and your very kind comments now.

Thanks,

CW

CW, I hope you know that the comments from that previous saddle, were meant to help, not scold. We all have had someone give us tips and/or guidance along the way. Just paying it forward. As I said, this one looks good and has a really nice using quality to it.

Bob

Bob,

The scolding remark was purely tongue in cheek. I know you meant it to help and it did. It is those kind of critiques I look forward to when I post on here. Like iron sharpens iron,one man sharpens another. I sincerely appreciate it and want you to keep on "scolding" me if the need arises.

Thanks,

CW

Thanks for the kind words Ron.

CW