Sign in to follow this  
ryan

Motorcycle Bags

I'm not a biker, but I see a lot of people on this forum are or do a lot of business with bikers so here's my question. Whats a good all around weight of leather for a decent size set of motorcycle bags? I would prefer 8/9 oz for a set of saddle bags but I am having a hard time finding "good" black leather in 8/9 from my normal supplier. They seem to have a lot of 7/8 oz that they advertise as "motorcylce bag leather" but that seems too light. The bags are to be about 12 inches wide by about 10-12" deep with a 5-6" gusset. These are approximations as I haven't got the measurements off of her old fake leather ripped up ones. They will be at a slight angle too.

Thanks,

Ryan

im taking it you want a stiffer bag? Id look at a harness leather or a heavy latigo. they come in a black. check out siegal or hide house or some of the others that have been listed on here. I use a latigo its kind of waterproof. anything would be better than the premade junk. Bonnie

If you are going to all the trouble of building your own saddle bags, go the extra step and buy the leather natural, then you can dye it yourself and can even tool the bags if you want. I know they SAY you can tool the black motorcycle leather; but don't try! It takes and impression but looks like crap....jmho of course.

Dave Theobald